Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Third Reich SA Dagger.....2 Leather Straps...Rare ,I've Heard!

Article about: My very close friend passed away in May of 2010 at the age of 86. He was in the 90th Division. He landed on D-Day +10 in Utah beach and was wounded at the battle of the bulge on January 1945

Default Third Reich SA Dagger.....2 Leather Straps...Rare ,I've Heard!

My very close friend passed away in May of 2010 at the age of 86. He was in the 90th Division. He landed on D-Day +10 in Utah beach and was wounded at the battle of the bulge on January 1945 just 2 to 3 miles from the German border. He has nick named the Old Dawg....I believe because he was on the very Front line the entire time. This is just one relic I have of all that he brought back. He never spoke much at all of the things that happened in France, ...... it affected him his entire life.
    I have writen all the stores down he has told me, so the are not lost forever. He did not say if he got this dagger off a dead soilder or a prisoner. But from the other items i have, I think it was a dead solider. I have many Luftwaffe items and world war I veteran markings on them. Also ribbons from the western front in Russia with badges, belt buckels, pins, money, pistol with leather holster, patches ect. I don't know if I will post all of these items. He was the smartest man I knew and I will never forget him.

Please feel free to comment your thought of this dagger. I do believe the number on both leather straps match.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Third Reich SA Dagger.....2 Leather Straps...Rare ,I've Heard!   Third Reich SA Dagger.....2 Leather Straps...Rare ,I've Heard!  

Third Reich SA Dagger.....2 Leather Straps...Rare ,I've Heard!   Third Reich SA Dagger.....2 Leather Straps...Rare ,I've Heard!  

Third Reich SA Dagger.....2 Leather Straps...Rare ,I've Heard!   Third Reich SA Dagger.....2 Leather Straps...Rare ,I've Heard!  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Third Reich SA Dagger.....2 Leather Straps...Rare ,I've Heard!
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Third Reich SA Dagger.....2 Leather Straps...Rare ,I've Heard!

im sorry to hear of your sad loss, treasure this dagger, its a great gift from a great man, respectfully,george w

Indeed, I reiterate Gerge's comments. He would most likely have liberated it from a house or a soldiers baggage. These were not carried in combat.

It is a superb RZM quality dagger. Having the extra small hanging strap is a nice bonus. Not every dagger owner bothered to buy one of these. Not rare as such, but nice to have.

Cheers, Ade.

I concur with George & Ade, a very well conditioned SA dagger with the nice bonus of you knowing the vet who liberated it. The straps are really a 3 piece hanger which are fairly scarce to find & cost a pretty penny when you do find one. Not rare as Ade said but very nice to have. Sorry for your loss but happy you took the time to commit the vet's stories to paper. That way they won't be lost.

Here is a photo of how the hanger should be set up:

3 Piece Hanger For An SA Dagger

These hangers stopped the dagger flapping about in wear when marching etc.

Cheers, Ade.

Thank you guys for your comments. The strap above was like that when he first showed it to me 2 years ago. I really don't believe that he took it or changed the strap around. Some German solders just must have kept them like that. Must of been like that when he got it. I will post everything that he brought back for you all to see.
    My friend had Liberated Metz and had a signed large document (framed) from France given to the guys to took part in it. Also he had 4 battle stars. His family got the most of his metals and documents. He never had children his nephews got the medals. This was a Great man, he stood 5'8" always a smile on his face, Honest, Friendly, always positive, and down to earth. I never had much a grandpa but he filled that part in my life perfect and I'm glad I told him that before he passed. I don't mean to ramble on but I miss him alot... And know he would like me to keep displaying it like this just as he did, a few times displaying this dagger at WWII functions.
    Thanks You
    Brice

Hi Brice, I know exactly where you are coming from. I too have been privilledged to know several WW2 Vets who I got to know well as friends.

I look forwards to seeing and hearing more.

Cheer, Ade.

check out the rest of his relics he brought back....If you see anything unique let me know, I still don't quite know all the details on them. https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/blogs...-them-out-452/

I love it all it's a shame of his Passing lost my father in law last year D-day vet and great guy. They wont be forgotten!!

Eric

My Great Uncle passed 2 years ago now, a vet of North Africa, Kokoda and the last great amphibious landing of WW2 at Balikpappan. From memory he was 2/25 AIF. He was always impossible to get talking about the war, as his great love was motorcycles. He did tell me once that on the night of the Japanese surrender he was on guard duty behind an MG on a hill near the AIF base in Borneo when celebratory shooting kicked off which he at first thought was a Japanese raid. Unfortunately a number of Aussies managed to get shot during the celebrations...hell of a way to end a war huh?