Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Two SA Daggers: Authentic Pieces? A Good Deal?

Article about: by sitges1990 It is your money Adam, but the minute I see "on a budget" pop up in a thread, it must be an important consideration. I agree whole heartedly with Steve, I think the 1

Default Two SA Daggers: Authentic Pieces? A Good Deal?

Hi, guys. I have wanted to purchase a basic SA dagger (on a budget) to be the first in my TR collection. I recently saw these two pieces and was wondering what people thought. Upon my novice assessment I would say both appear to be original pieces, however the first with obvious condition issues. The 1st dagger is being offered for $350 USD and is RZM marked for J.A. Henckels, which I believe makes it a later (lower quality?) dagger than the 2nd which is not RZM marked. The 2nd dagger is by Edward Wusthof and being offered for $500 USD. The pictures of the 2nd dagger are a little odd since the seller took them with and without a camera flash making them look almost like different daggers. Is one of these makers more desirable? Both authentic and fairly priced?

Thanks for the help and opinions!
    Best,
    Adam
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Two SA Daggers: Authentic Pieces? A Good Deal?   Two SA Daggers: Authentic Pieces? A Good Deal?  

Two SA Daggers: Authentic Pieces? A Good Deal?   Two SA Daggers: Authentic Pieces? A Good Deal?  

Two SA Daggers: Authentic Pieces? A Good Deal?   Two SA Daggers: Authentic Pieces? A Good Deal?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Two SA Daggers: Authentic Pieces? A Good Deal?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Two SA Daggers: Authentic Pieces? A Good Deal?

Is there a scabbard with the first one ?

The second looks to have had the grip darkened, or maybe it's the photo ?
    If you can get better/ photos of #2, it would help,as it looks to be
    in somewhat better shape, and probably why it is $200 more...............
    ( Complete original hangers for these are $50 to $100 )
    Regards,

Steve.

Both daggers are good.

Cheers, Ade.

Hey, guys...thanks for the replies. Steve, yes the 1st one has a scabbard. Here are some more pictures of the first dagger and secondly, some additional photos of the 2nd, better condition one but with the weird different lighting photos.
    Thanks for the heads-up about the conman and scamming...I will check all that out for sure!

Best,
    Adam
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Two SA Daggers: Authentic Pieces? A Good Deal?   Two SA Daggers: Authentic Pieces? A Good Deal?  

Two SA Daggers: Authentic Pieces? A Good Deal?  

The 1st one at $350 is really not that bad for a 'complete' dagger. It is a little rough,
    yes, and a late model, but an original. As a friend always says: "Go find one".
    And I don't think you will find another with a scabbard for $350.
    Perhaps the seller might even drop it another $10 or $20.

The second one has to be photographed in much better lighting. The photos are just
    too dark. It is almost impossible to make any judgment on it. The grip seems to have
    been dyed black, or just extremely dark photos ? It may be worth $150 more but it
    is hard to say with such bad photos..........

I'd offer the guy $350 for #2, if that's the best he can do with the pics !
    Regards,

Steve.

I just got an email back from the seller of the 2nd dagger, having asked for photos of the handle in better lighting. He said that he had added these 2 photos (also shown above) because someone else had asked for better pictures. Anyways, I think that's that so The handle doesn't look painted or black to me, but maybe you mean it may have been stained a dark brown?

Best,
    Adam

Oops...here are the two photos from above that he referred to as being in better light.

Hi Adam !

I think it may be my monitor, as the above grip looks black. I have an SA that has a very dark red stain but I am partial to 'medium brown' wood. 'Early' dagger grips were not stained that much at all, or so I've been led to believe. I posted five a few days ago.

I don't know what your gut feeling is regarding these two knives. You have a better idea of what you want in one of these. Some prefer a maker instead of RZM types - it's really up to you. If price really plays a big role in making a decision, I'd go for the cheaper of the two, and I suppose it is probably just as good, if not better, from the pics. ( They both appear at my end to have black scabbards, which if they are, would mean they are both NSKK daggers )

$350 seems to me like a great price for one of these daggers today, I think I paid around $400 for an average NSKK about 5 to 7 years ago.............
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 05-25-2010 at 03:47 AM.
    Regards,

Steve.

It is your money Adam, but the minute I see "on a budget" pop up in a thread, it must be an important consideration. I agree whole heartedly with Steve, I think the 1st is one heck of a deal. Just trying to help you pull the trigger brother!

Jay

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast