Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Warsaw Uprising SA Dienstdolch

Article about: Another thought....who might be the producer of this dagger judging by the lower crossguard?

Another thought....who might be the producer of this dagger judging by the lower crossguard?
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Warsaw Uprising SA Dienstdolch
    P
    Many

I too have seen this knife and was puzzled as to why the Eagle and Swas was not removed. Here are a couple of pics of it in the context I saw it. Sorry for the poor quality of the pics. Its dark in there.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Warsaw Uprising SA Dienstdolch   Warsaw Uprising SA Dienstdolch  

Just realised the label cannot be read in the photo. Sorry about that, perhaps, the OP can give us some more info regarding this as he clearly has been up close and personal with it. Cheers.

Once yet again, a supposedly reputable museum exhibits questionable items....
    (Does that grip have Flat sides, by the way??)
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I saw this one in the museum in May of this year. But I only got a lousy photo of it.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Yes William .... This is the beginning of why it is questionable .....and By the way the flat sides are very acceptable . Anyone else? Anything noticeable about the lower guard?
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

By the way the lower guard is correct for this maker.

Quote by Spitace41 View Post
    Just realised the label cannot be read in the photo. Sorry about that, perhaps, the OP can give us some more info regarding this as he clearly has been up close and personal with it. Cheers.

The caption underneath says:

"SA cutlass (sic) made in Germany in 1930s. Won during the Warsaw Rising on 16 August by Corporal Marian Sapuła “Mewa” from Kiliński Battalion. Donated by Marian Sapuła. "

Some further information: Corporal Marian Sapuła ps. “Mewa” fought in 5th Company of Kiliński Battalion AK ( Numer legitymacji AK - 17741) was born in Warsaw 1923-04-29 died 2006-04 -02. Kiliński Battalion famously captured the PASTa Bulding on ul. Zielna 37 and the 16 storey Prudential Insurance building in Śródmieście (city centre) district of Warsaw.

Below iconic (for we Poles ) images the battle for the PASTa Bulding:

The PASTa building under attack by Kiliński Battalion

Victory smiles were ultimately short-lived.

Link: Memories of Janusz Hamerlinski - a soldier from "Kilinski" Battalion
    Last edited by StefanM; 11-08-2013 at 03:53 PM.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

I have no doubts about the battle and no doubts about the dagger itself... Just the story and dagger together . I am looking for more of an SA input.

The dagger grip is not marked "New" but with the nome de guerre "MEWA" which can mean "seagull" or "gull". The use of a nome de guerre was commonplace by members of the Polish resistance movement(s) for obvious reasons.

I don't know anything about German daggers of any description, but it was extremely common for the AK to use German weapons as they were extremely short of materiel during the Rising and it would not have been unusual to have kept German markings of captured weapons as they were trophies as well as useful fighting tools.

What I would find unusual IMO is the mounting of the eagle on the grip during the fighting. I think it might well have been added post-war as well as the tooled dotted date and "MEWA" and probably post-communist regime in the 1990s, as being discovered to have the "crowned" eagle on a German dagger like this might have been construed as confirming the old Polish communist propaganda lie that the AK were fascist collaborators—the owner would be in grave risk of being arrested and sent off to a UB/NKVD Special Camp, which was the fate of many thousands of former AK fighters in communist Poland after the end of WWII.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast