Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What do you think of this SA dagger?

Article about: Makes me wonder too sometimes but we never know after all these years and how many hands its been through. The best we like to accept is that the Crossguard fit to the upper scabbard fitting

Default What do you think of this SA dagger?

I have been offered this SA dagger. It looks OK to me but I need to know what you guys think plus what would you offer for this dagger. As always, thanks so much. birdsman
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SA1.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	542044   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SA2.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	542045  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SA3.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	542046   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SA4.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	542047  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SA5.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	127.0 KB 
ID:	542048  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Default Re: What do you think of this SA dagger?

Looks good to me but wait for the real dagger guys to chime in.

I did what I could on the pic before a few of our members have heart attacks

Name:  saflip.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  16.4 KB

Lovely dagger. Justinuswerk can be considered a scarce maker since they made only about 5000 SA daggers.Their real name is Brenger & Co.,Justus,JUSTINUSWERK,Stahl-u. Metallwarenfabrik,Solingen-Wald. They are often found with the Gau marking Bo for Bayerische, Ostmark.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Is it just my eyes or does it look like an early blade with a later scabbard and cross guards?

How much to offer im for the dagger if it I alright?

?

It's always difficult to make an opinion from photos but it certainly looks as though it has a mismatched scabbard , or it has been over painted , so on that basis , pricewise , i would not put in an offer on this one !
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

It is,indeed, a nice condition earlier SA (post 1935, as seen by the lack of the Distribution Group mark-or is that faint marking a stamping? My old eyes can not quite tell for sure-a close up of the front of the lower guard would be of great help! If that IS a stamping, then the guard needs to be turned around, as someone has reassembled it backwards with the mark to the front rather than the reverse) Made by Justinuswerk of Solingen, of course. They were one of more than 200 manufacturers of SA daggers! Unfortunately, as has been said, the sheath has almost certainly been repainted. It May have been done in Period times, but I doubt it. Other than that, it is in decent condition and has a Very nice shape hanger as well. The finish on the blade and guards is intact and good, with lots of runner marks but still discernible crosshatching and, for the tally book, the Grip wood is in fine shape and fits great and the roundel's enamel is fine as well. If you can live with the repainted sheath, it's not a bad piece and would display well-particularly out of it's scabbard. I'd like it if the etching was darker, but it's not a Huge problem. Value-wise? Nothing exorbitant, for sure-probably in the $3-400 range-probably closer to the 3 than to the 4. The hanger alone is would cost you 75 easily.
    Last edited by Wagriff; 07-21-2013 at 01:53 AM.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

The scabbard throat appears to have been removed at some point and not put back in correctly ..OR...the runners were switched out....cant say for sure but there is clearance between the throat lip and the upper scabbard fitting. Surprisingly rare not to see any SA gruppe mark on this dagger..if I am missing it please show the members if there is one. None the less there are examples that never received a gruppe stamping...but very rare and or as an overage..that was never awarded. The fittings on the scabbard appear to be the nickel variety..but the scabbard looks like a recent paint job. All parts are the nickel silver type and the logo still has a wee bit of the blackening left in it.
    Also included with the "BO" district as Ned points out the SA Gruppe Hessen "He" should also be included.

Estimated quantity made are 5000..with an occurrence of 5 /1000. This would point to the minimum ordered of 1000 daggers as theory puts it at 5000. One being seen in every thousand. This producer is placed on the #7 position of the McSaar rarity list.

I would like to see if there is a gruppe mark on the crossguard as i dont see one in the photos supplied . Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I wonder if this sheath actually Belongs with this dagger? It may have been married to one that was missing it-this would account for the excessive runner marks and the gap between the lip and the guard on the one side.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

im guessing the owner told you to make an offer? Hopefully he doesnt think he has a gold mine like most people who have little to no knowledge of this stuff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast