Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Where do runner marks come from?

Article about: Ever wonder why this happens and some will say " From alot of in and out of the scabbard",,which is true! The real truth lays within the scabbard. Along with some other future thre

Default Where do runner marks come from?

Ever wonder why this happens and some will say " From alot of in and out of the scabbard",,which is true! The real truth lays within the scabbard. Along with some other future threads I am working on,, this one is a must.
    Returning vets who found these virgin gems decided to do what is best to keep rust off and keeping metal sliding in and out of the scabbard easily. This was many a noble thought at that present time......BUT.....70 years later that TLC they thought were doing was drying over the decades. Everything dries over time...Everything! even oil and lubricants harden.
    I posted 2 photos for the time being of what happens to a scabbard runner after these many years,,, and in turn,,,a hardened surface on the high ridges of the runner and the end result that many have seen on their SA and SS daggers. This is most of the time but there are some political daggers that were just left alone and not helped with a thick oil lubricant. I will show the before and after process of the runners,, and treating it with Ren Wax to give that smooth glide into the scabbard with that little tight "click' at the end,,, as it sounded back in the 1930s. Below is before and after photo of the runner. I will post this topic in its entirety in the very near future. Regards Larry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Where do runner marks come from?   Where do runner marks come from?  

It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Where do runner marks come from?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Where do runner marks come from?

Larry C,Years ago i ran an ad in 1973 in the local paper in Queens, NYC.I received a good number of replies and among these was a guy you saw combat in Europe and brought back several flags and other misc. items.One of these was an E.M. SS dagger which he had applied machine oil!Needless to say the piece was a mess!He said he thought about making it into a fishing knife,but didn't.I of course bought this( no cherry picking) with the other items,but the SS dagger was really beyond restoration having sat with the generious amount of oil on it for 30 years.I have seen the results of using steel wool (horrible).To all he new members please dont use any abrasives or any harsh cleaners you can lower the grade of something very rare badly.Daggers and swords will do nicely with simichrome polish and many dealers sell it.Also medals or badges with Verdigress (green gump)or that white dusty lookig stuff can do okay with olive oil believe me!Just fill a bowl or cup with the olive oil and put the piece in for a day or two.You will see the gump on the bottom of the bowl,etc.Also great for copper coins such as Indian pennies.Learned this from a friend and coin dealer.P.S. If the olive oil does not remove said gump then it has gone beyond the surface of the medal or badge then and no more can be done!