Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

anyone out there detecting in germany?

Article about: YOU COULD FIND THE AMBER ROOM

mr.marty
    ?

Default anyone out there detecting in germany?

hello all,

I finally pinched all my pennies and bought my first detector. I have been living in the Kaiserslautern area. I plan on starting out small in the woods by my house. if anyone is out there and seeking help/would like to show a new guy some tips; I would love to join you/pay back with a few pints.

cheers

?

Default Re: anyone out there detecting in germany?

Firstly check out the German laws re metal detecting etc you don't want a run in with the Polizei !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Mr Marty

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on getting your first detector!

If you look at the sticky threads in this forum you will see one regarding 'tips' for metal detecting. The research you do is the BIGGEST thing about relic hunting. Don't expect to just walk into a wood and find a load of helmets and guns

Also, as Paul says, check out the laws in your area. The last thing you want is to get your metal detector confiscated and a huge fine on your first day !

Good luck with your searching and please post up anything you find in our forums. We'll help ID it for you and get jealous when you find cool stuff

Cheers

Steve T

mr.marty
    ?

Paul and Steve,

I have been researching German Laws on metal detecting. far before I even played with the Idea of getting a detector. I have a lot of private land (old farm country) what I gathered from the laws over here were; stay away from protected sites. the laws have some Gray area's and could change within a moment. I am strictly doing this for hobby and do not hope to find any multimillion Euro finds (lol) Much appreciated on your replys and I will do some more Homework to cover myself..

Cheers

Good for you Mr Marty

And good luck on your search for relics. None of us do this to become millionaires. We do it to have in our hand a relic from WW2, and the last person to touch it was someone involved in the war......it still makes me tingle even after all these years collecting !

Remember.....RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH ! Find that spot no-one else has stumbled over (and there are still plenty such areas left as I have demonstrated time and again), and you'll have more relics than you know what to do with.

Steve T

?

Quote by mr.marty View Post
    Paul and Steve,

I have been researching German Laws on metal detecting. far before I even played with the Idea of getting a detector. I have a lot of private land (old farm country) what I gathered from the laws over here were; stay away from protected sites. the laws have some Gray area's and could change within a moment. I am strictly doing this for hobby and do not hope to find any multimillion Euro finds (lol) Much appreciated on your replys and I will do some more Homework to cover myself..

Cheers
    Excellent you are obviously taking this seriously and doing it the right way , good luck in the fields and forests
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

mr.marty
    ?

hello all,

In my search for answers I have found few. from the forums posted country rules it states "The 1992 law on the search for, and preservation of antiquities, covers all objects belonging to the ancient period, early Christianity and the Middle Ages.

Excavation requires a licence and work may not be carried out, without permission, near an antiquity in such a way as to affect it directly or indirectly. All accidental discoveries must be reported. Rewards are made equal to 50% of value if found on public land and 100% if on private land.

Although the 1932 Act does not refer to metal detectors, any items found by its use are covered by the Act."

with this being said I cannot "take anything" from the earth? or am I interpreting this wrong? I am so eager to start but because I am not a country national I do not want walk all over the customs/beliefs. although there is a fellow in Munich who claims it is legal to own/operate a MD with out a license and he has been doing this for years. Germany is very picky on how they handle things. I may end up calling the Embassy or asking local Polezi.. although they can be a bunch of "clowns" when bringing up WW2 matters. I had one laugh and reply with "who cares?" when I asked a general question.

well then cheers

marty

Good luck with the metal detector. The first bit of advice from one md user to another is "Listen to the Tones", and if you are looking for relics "Don't Discriminate" as you may miss something important. Hope this helps.

Hi there,

I can give al little bit of help. You're quite right about taking nothing from the earth in Germany. You're also right about the permit you need for searching, believe me, get a permit! The german authorities can be a pain in the ass if they find you searching and you don't have a permit or the "go" from a landowner. If you get cought they (probably) will confiscate your detector and will send you home with a little less money in your pocket
    If you find something and you did this legally and they are interested in it they will reward you, never the less you are going home without a relic.
    The "'Förster" can also be enoying. They often do the "spotting" and call the police. Some friends of mine have had this problem when they found some morters when a policeman cought one of the guys, while he was walking with his dog. They had to explain alot to the policeman and they even had to go to the policestation. They were lucky and could keep there detectors and money Would they have found human remains, they would have been in big trouble.
    You can search without a license but keep in mind if they find you searching u could go home without a detector and less money in the pocket.

cheers,

There are some areas where the Forestry Officer will shove a shotgun up your nostril. Especially in the Reichswald near Kleve and the Huertgen Forest. Some idiots always spoil it for the majority. Recently a Foerster was clubbed in the face with a shovel and the guys split. They also tend to leave huge holes and place dangerous explosives on the hiking/wood trails as they are to cowardly to report them and figure that someone else can do the reporting for them. The problem is, what happens if a child finds the damn thing first? I talked to one of the Forestry Officers in charge of the Huertgen Forest and he told me of a group of grade schoolers doing a nature hike through the woods. At the end of the trip a 10 year old pulled a WW2 hand grenade out of his pocket and asked him what the item was. Poor chap almost took a dump right there. Turns out, some illigal digger left it on the path when the kid stumbled accross it and picked it up. Danny

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast