Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Diving for relics

Article about: Im thinking of using my diving skills in the relic hunting business. What should I think about regarding diving in small lakes and ponds? Dangers and so on? Maybe I will visit datrus and bri

?

Default Re: Diving for relics

Quote by himselff View Post
    Im thinking of using my diving skills in the relic hunting business.

What should I think about regarding diving in small lakes and ponds? Dangers and so on?

Maybe I will visit datrus and bring my scuba gear
    That would be awesome mate I have some good ponds and lakes in mind if so. I have a friend with a underwater metal detector if he still have it. Searching in ponds and river normally will not be deeper than 3-4 meters. Often far less.

Cheers

Default Re: Diving for relics

As an ex police diver and dive supervisor I can only give you the wisdom of my experience diving in the south of England using metal detectors. The ones we trialed tended to indicate metal almost continually. The problem is that all bodies of water even remotely near human habitation will have had bottle tops, scrap iron, tin cans etc thrown into them for many years. Unless you have a detector that can differentiate between M42'S and bean cans you are going to become very frustrated. We also found huge quantitys of munitions in the water from German incendiary and HE bombs to home guard post war dumps of mortar rounds many in a highly unstable condition. I can only urge caution if you do search underwater in areas likely to contain unexploded munitions. the best method would possibly be to use a jackstay pattern moving very slowly and if viz allows making maximum use of the MK1 eyeball prior to touching anything.

Good luck

Robin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2