Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

A few days finds

Article about: After not visiting my local site for a while I decided to give it another visit, thinking I would not find much more. I was wrong I found a area and I pulled up quite a few 20mm and 50 cal.

Default A few days finds

After not visiting my local site for a while I decided to give it another visit, thinking I would not find much more. I was wrong I found a area and I pulled up quite a few 20mm and 50 cal. I also found quite a few 20mm heads (photos to follow) and loads of 20mm and 50 rusty clips, which I left there are they are pretty much useless in their present state. I also found a couple of 50 cal heads, one in very good condition, the other has hit something and appears hollow. The pics are what I found in 4 visits, can't wait to go back.A few days findsA few days findsA few days findsA few days findsA few days findsA few days findsA few days findsA few days finds

I also found 2 x 20mm cases with 50 cal cases stuck inside them, they are both stuck solid. I have included a photo of all my finds from the site, I have filled the box and I will need to get another one.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A few days finds  

It appears that the 50 cal. bullet might have been an AP round and the core seperated upon impact.
    Just my opinion.
    Great looking finds. Any head stamps on the 20mm's?

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Hi John
    Thanks for your reply, yes all the 20mm have head stamps most are BBC,GMS,K2,DURA and some others all are dated from 1941 to 1943. On a previous post I posted a pic of a 20mm case I found with no head stamps at all, but it was ink stamped with DURA, I was amazed the stamps had survived on the case after so long in the ground.
    Cheers jamie

?

Jamie,

Is this a UK based location? I'm just curious as I know of a USAAF base near me that still has the ac gunnery range standing and I was wondering if these were found at a similar site?

Great photos by the way, a really impressive haul!

Jon

Hi Jon
    Yes it is a UK based site, I don't know if it was primarily used by the USAAF or not I am still trying to find out more information, going back soon hoping to find more .50 cal heads.
    Cheers Jamie

?

Excellent, hopefully your research uncovers the site's history, and your MD uncovers more finds!!