Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

help with first metal detector :(

Article about: by brataccas kinda confused with this, you are saying the garretts are NOT awesome? or good? I don't like them. I don't think they're any better than some of the MUCH cheaper machines. WH li

Question help with first metal detector :(

don't want an overly expensive one but defiantly not a cheap starter one, Anyone knows of any websites that you can pay for the metal detector in chunks? I really need a detector now as it takes a long time guessing where relics are and not finding anything, most of the time the RAF dumps I have found do turn up with at least something. Just dont know what model to get and where to buy from etc. any help would be a godsend. Im after rusty relics aswell as non rusty just to let people know.

?

Default Re: help with first metal detector :(

I currently use a Garrett Ace250. Which I suppose is kind of a beginner model, but it's advanced enough. It's not the cheapest of metal detectors either. You could at least consider it But I believe they've made an Ace350 now. Also I'd invest in a proper pinpointer. Saves you a lot of time. (Such as Garrett Pro Pinpointer)

takker

but this weird thread is putting me off that for some reason whilst trying to research it

Live in the UK ? Dont buy a ACE350 Buy the Garrett EUROACE : Garrett Metal Detectors

?

I see. There will always be someone telling you a certain detector is crap or that it's really good. It's always very difficult to decide which detector you should buy. Perhaps you should view a few videos on youtube. They have a lot of detector tests, and of course people filming their hunts. In my opinion the ace250/350 is great detector to start with, and you'd have no problem selling it later on if you wish.

ye, have you found rusty and normal items quite deep in mud though with your 250? the dumps ive found has really weird mud, its black coloured and I think ive mentioned before that all the items ive found is around spooky trees with this "black mud" :S found those 1941 dated anti aircraft shells and lancaster morse code tapper and bits of naval ships all in the black mud...

also forgot to ask how deep can it detect items?

brataccas

It really is down to personal choice. You can buy a decent detector for £150 nowadays and it will find you plenty of stuff. I currently use a Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II and before that a different Bounty Hunter. I really like them but most 'professional' detectorists turn their nose up at them. I can't see why to be honest as it has found me so much stuff I now have my very own war room !! (see the thread in the collections forum). The SS II finds coins, buttons and badges down to 12 inches, bigger items deeper. However, most WW2 stuff is within the first 6 inches of earth so you don't need a deep seeking machine, unless you plan on going to Eastern Europe to try and find buried bunkers.

You can pay stupid money for a detector and find no more than I do with my £250 one. Everyone has Garretts, but that's because everyone thinks they're awesome. They ain't all that.

As for a pinpointer, you don't really need one unless you're planning on spending all you time on beaches or in sand dunes. I've never had one and have no problem finding my stuff. I'd get used to whatever detector you buy first before shelling out on a pinpointer. It won't find you anything extra, but will put a hole in your pocket.

Hope that helps.

Steve T

PS On a recent RRPG dig I was up against a couple of Garretts along with whitehunter's awesome super-duper detector. I found more than anyone else. Enough said.

PPS Just wait until WH sees that.....he's going to swear at me I just know........ hehe

Best thing about buying an Ace 250 is you get a pinpointer chucked in for free! I used to think 'why do you want a bloody pinpointer' i got one for my birthday 3 years ago, i use it with nearly every signal (saves so much time)

Back in 2006 i started off with a Fisher 1212-x2 a basic machine, then moved on to the Ace 250, Soon after that i brought an X-Terra 70. a year went i moved up to the E-trac had that for a couple of years. It's on Ebay right at this moment Now i have the Deus (fantastic machine)

At the end of the day if your 'only' searching for WW2 relics you don't need a big machine, unlike me i search for Celtic-WW2 items so i need more powerful machines. It's also good to try a more powerful machine over a site you've done to death the with lower range stuff, It's proven many a time with me. also going on Metal detecting rallys is a good way to see other peoples machines in action

.I hope this info may be of some help

John

Quote by Steve T View Post
    Everyone has Garretts, but that's because everyone thinks they're awesome. They ain't all that.
    kinda confused with this, you are saying the garretts are NOT awesome? or good?

Quote by Steve T View Post
    On a recent RRPG dig I was up against a couple of Garretts along with whitehunter's awesome super-duper detector. I found more than anyone else. Enough said.
    you found more than anyone else using a garrett or another type of MD? (Bit slow atm my brain that is, not been sleeping well this week -.-)

Joan allen, Regton are good places if you want monthly installments

Joan Allen Metal Detectors

Metal Detectors Regton, UK Largest Metal Detector Shop-Hobby Security detecting

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast