Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

My Metal Detecting Finds

Article about: About a week ago my nephew had taken his dogs for a walk on a beach near to where we live, when he came back he had found a 20mm shell and a 303 case, they were just lying on the surface. To

Default My Metal Detecting Finds

About a week ago my nephew had taken his dogs for a walk on a beach near to where we live, when he came back he had found a 20mm shell and a 303 case, they were just lying on the surface. Today i went along with my metal detector, i was not expecting to find much, but after about 3 hrs of searching, i found 11 .303 cases with dates ranging from 1941 to 1943, 15 .50 cal cases, only one of them with a date of 1943 the others not dated but marked with "A,R,4" and 43 20mm cases with dates ranging from 1941 to 1943 and a clip for the cases. They are a range of makers for the shells some are stamped GMS M21A1,BBC,K2,R.C,ASC,R.H. and one marked with 3 arrowheads. (i would be really grateful if anyone on the forum could tell me more about who made them)

It seems that i could have possibly stumbled onto a old firing range, but the finds were dotted around a large area, i only found one lot of 3 20mm buried together. My biggest suprise was finding more 20mm cases than .303. I cant wait to go back next week to see if i can find more.

My Metal Detecting FindsMy Metal Detecting FindsMy Metal Detecting FindsMy Metal Detecting FindsMy Metal Detecting Finds

?

Default Re: My Metal Detecting Finds

good find

Default Re: My Metal Detecting Finds

Very interesting finds. Would seem as though you have indeed found an old gunnery range, and one that the RAF and USAAF used to practice ground strafing. Do you need help with all the head stamps or just the one with the three broad arrow stamps?

Pm me and I'll advise how to find if your site is recorded or not.

Steve T