Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

New To detecting!

Article about: Dan Great ! To help you out, here is a link to the 'How to' guide I did for posting pictures Post your pics in the Battlefield archaeology forum http://warrelics.eu/forum/technical-...w-guid

?

Default New To detecting!

Hi guys and girls!

I have just purchased a cheap detector from ebay and was wondering if this would be as effective as a dearer one at finding cartridges and bulletts and other smaller items ? i presume it would not be!

This is my first MD so i did not want too rush in and spend hundreds on one! i have taken it out once so far and managed to unearth a red bull can and a fosters can lol!any help in this area will be greatly received

all the best jay (a total MD novice)

Default Re: New To detecting!

Hello Jay

What machine did you buy?

It doesn't really matter what machine you have when searching for war relics. you will find more with a powerfuller machine but it doesn't matter when you have only just started i started off with a low range machine and it kept me happy for years. i've only just upgradged to a more powerfull machine and its doing well on sites i have cleared with previous machines

Cheers

john

Quote by jayh View Post
    Hi guys and girls!

I have just purchased a cheap detector from ebay and was wondering if this would be as effective as a dearer one at finding cartridges and bulletts and other smaller items ? i presume it would not be!

all the best jay (a total MD novice)
    Hey and welcome to the forum

Actually that is not strictly speaking the case. I have been MDing with my brother, (he is also a total novice), with his £40 detector from Maplins and he found as many cartridges etc... as me, and I have a £300 MD !

The best thing you can do before going out with your MD into the world, practice in your back garden. Detect an area of ground that you can easily dig to make sure it's clear of metal. Now grab yourself a few metal bits and bobs of various sorts. A few different sized coins and a nail, a cartridge if you have one. Try and find something rusty as well. Now go into your garden and keep burying items at different levels and get used to your detector. Fiddle with the dials and see what difference it makes to the tone it makes, how deep it goes, etc etc etc. Once you're used to it, don't just pick somewhere at random and go expecting to find stuff. If you don't do your research, 95% of what you find will be crap. If you DO do your research, 95% of what you find will be GOOD. Check out the sticky at the top of this forum.

And that's it really. Practice in a controlled environment so you know what your machine can do. It'll save you time and muscle ache in the long run

Above all, have FUN !

Cheers

Steve T

Steve T, it depends where he lives. My back yard is most likely more dangerous than the surrounding landscape
    The battle for Geilenkirchen went through our village and I cannot dig anywhere without bringing live ammo up. My neighbor found an unmarked/unknown bunker when he was making the foundation for his house and the other neighbor found a missing German soldier while planting a hedge. Danny

I wouldn't mind to search in your backgarden..

I've started my hobby with a €130 MD.. After some time i wanted a "better" one and bought me a €350 MD..
    I have to say that the cheaper one was quite good now i have searched a while with the new one..
    If you find stuff and you don't know what it is, please take a nice photo and let us/ someone that's a little more experienced decide what to do.. It happens
    all to often some-one posts pictures with an explosive not knowing that it is an explosive and that it could be live..
    One "pop" is enough to spoil your day..

cheers,

?

Hi all

just a quick update ....ditched the 60 quid ebay detector and bought a garrett 250 ,now the problem is i dont know of any ways of getting permission to explore on some of the old ranges and airfields near to me any help would be appreciated ....does anyone know of any in the beds /bucks region that allows you to detect on? or can anyone point me in the right direction... help please!!! i am a bit new to all this !

Hey jayh

Glad to see you're progressing into the good quality MD's. They will bring you some nice finds.

Look here for tips on gaining permission......

Tips on how to gain permission to dig.

........to save me typing it all out again

Steve T

Steve T is the "guy" to ask if it comes to searching on airfields etc.
    There can be enough stuff found outside of these ranges/airfields.. Searching with a MD doesn't mean that you will find relics or sometimes anything..
    I have been on fields searching for hours and haven't found a thing.

cheers,

Well done Jay. The ace 250 is a cracking machine for relics I own 2 of them

?

by all accounts it is .....i am having a nightmare pinpointing things at the moment tho! just been practicing on the local common so far with it but was thinking of having a walk over finmere raf base soon as i understand access is not much of a prob there

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast