Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

new to metal detecting

Article about: ok i got it to work on all metals and found loads of old squair type nails and a spoon now to try it on one of the roman sites i know of

Default new to metal detecting

I have only just found this excellent website and have been thinking about getting a metal detector for a while as i have a B-24airfield on my door step, roman villa's within walking distance and lots of history in general all round me
    but have never touched a metal detector in my life so i need some advice and help
    i have about £150-200 what would be my best choice remembering i have never held a metal detector before
    Any suggestions or advice would be excellent

Cheers,
    Adam

Default Re: new to metal detecting

Quote by Riedmuller View Post
    I have only just found this excellent website and have been thinking about getting a metal detector for a while as i have a B-24airfield on my door step, roman villa's within walking distance and lots of history in general all round me
    but have never touched a metal detector in my life so i need some advice and help
    i have about £150-200 what would be my best choice remembering i have never held a metal detector before
    Any suggestions or advice would be excellent

Cheers,
    Adam
    i can advise you an xp adx 100/150
    very easy in juse and no difficult buttons
    and a possibility to juse a wireless headpfhone

i have had this detector and found verry nice items
    one of them is a roman ring

Him adam,
    Welcome to the forum, you should meet some good guy,s on here. The best one to talk to i think is steve T, he does a lot of detecting at airfields and would be very interested in you finds ect.
    You will find him onthe forum often. i cant tell you much about detectors, but he is the right one for your questions.
    best of luck Dave

Quote by wehrmachtsman View Post
    i can advise you an xp adx 100/150
    very easy in juse and no difficult buttons
    and a possibility to juse a wireless headpfhone

i have had this detector and found verry nice items
    one of them is a roman ring
    Thanks for the reply i have just had a quick look around and this one is about £100 over my budget are there any cheaper ones that are just as good?

Thanks Dave hopefully he will see this and leave a reply if not i shall PM him

Adam

i like the fisher 1266 detecters.....i like you live near an airfield and roman sites, the fisher is robust and simple to use and great for this type of detecting, iv had many results. new it would be out of your budget i suspect but there is a great dealer on the web who sells good second hand machines... pm me and il give you the name
    hope this helps

Hey Adam and welcome to the forum

I relic hunt on airfields, old WW2 ranges and old battlefields and have been using a relatively cheap model for some 3 years now with superb results. Have a search for some of my posts and you'll see the sort of stuff I find with it !

I currently use a Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II.......

Bounty Hunter by Joan Allen Detectors Direct - Metal detector suppliers, lowest price detector supplies

........but the next model down is just as good.

My older brother got a metal detector from Maplin Electronics the other month because he had read a review from a guy who had been metal detecting for many years. This guy reckoned the £80 he spent on the one from Maplin was the best £80 he had ever spent and moaned that it was finding stuff his £600 'main' machine wasn't finding !! It;'s the top one in this list for £99.99......

Maplin > metal detector

......and when I took him to the WW2 range, he found more than me ! It's a bit 'chunky' but seems to work very well.

If you want to do what people like Dimas do and go looking for crashed planes and old bunkers, I am afraid you'll need to spend a LOT more money than your budget as you need a deep scanning MD. However, for airfields etc and general relic hunting, you can't beat the Bounty Hunter.

Hope this helps. If you want any general tips have a look at the top post in this forum. Also, if you need to know anything about the Laws governing MDing, gimme a shout

Steve T

Thanks For the repely Steve the one from maplins sounds like a good buy for a beginner like me as im only after coins, rings, bullets like you say i just want to see what i can find in the fields round my house
    just one question it looks like its a bit complicated 2 set up? will i be able to set it up considering i have never touched one in my life?

Adam

Adam

The booklet that comes with the one from Maplins is worded for beginners like yourself

You have a sensitivity dial.....fairly simple really Does what it says. Turn it up....more sensitive

You will also have a discriminate dial. If you have it 'low' it will detect all metal including rusty bits of iron. The more you turn it up, the more 'junk' it will ignore and not give you a signal. This is good for getting your detector to ignore rusty bits of iron and ring pulls. HOWEVER, gold can be confused by your detector for rusty iron....so you makes your choice, you takes your chances !

You need any help just gimme a shout. Best thing to do is practice in the back garden Hardest thing to do is to learn to keep your swing and hence the detector head flat to the floor

Steve T

OK Steve Thanks i will go to maplins at the weekend and pick one up and will let you know how it goes not sure what i will find but my house was built in the 15-1600s so hopefully some nice stuff

Adam

ok i picked one up and cant seem to work it what is the best mode to use it in as i have looked through the manual and it has lost me i tried all metal but cant seem to get the descrimination right so i seem to get a signal constantly
    is there any one from Norfolk who knows what there doing that could gie me a hand to get started off?

Thanks, Adam

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast