Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Still have trouble deciding on a metal detector....

Article about: Hello again. I recently posted a question about a metal detector I was interested in buying, but I'm starting to have second thoughts about it....I wanted to buy a fisher f2, but from the re

Default Still have trouble deciding on a metal detector....

Hello again. I recently posted a question about a metal detector I was interested in buying, but I'm starting to have second thoughts about it....I wanted to buy a fisher f2, but from the reviews I've read, the maximum depth is 22 inches, for the large items. This metal detector is good only for coin hunting, just what most of the reviews said. I've gone over most of the cheaper company names, fisher, garrett, bounty huter, ect, but most are for retired people that own ocean front homes, in search of lost rings and chains. I'm looking for the bigger, ww2 relics found under +2 feet of dirt, but I can only spend $200 tops. I basically need a MD with good, and accurate depth readings.

Thanks, Julekpl

Default Re: Still have trouble deciding on a metal detector....

Then you need to spend more than $200 I am afraid. As a general rule, the more money you pay. the more accurate and deeper the detector will go/be.

I have a Bounty hunter harp shooter II and have found a couple of bits with it. Take a look here and you'll see what I've found with mine.....just a couple of bits....

Had to get a new cupboard - My collection UPDATED !

As you can see from this thread, the bounty hunter will do what you need it to.

Cheers

Steve T

wow! amazing...that's the kind of stuff I'm looking for, artillery shells, a helmet once in a while, a coin here and there...but wow, you have an incredible set! I got into this by collecting a few ww1-ww2 military objects, ww1 binoculars, and such. But the bounty hunter is pretty cheap isn't it? Does it have good readings on underground objects? Most videos I've seen are people showing how great their MD's pick up items that are on the surface of the soil....

Yes it's fine Julekpl. To be honest I don't look at the depth gauge unless I am having trouble finding the item. It easily picks up stuff like 9mm cartridges at 18inches. Just get one my friend and start !!!! Bigger stuff it will pick up lower. I've found bits of metal roadway at 3 feet with a bounty hunter.

Steve T

Go on youtube and look up vids by ww2relichunter (that's me). The latest one, World War 2 gunnery range 3 day blitz (or something) shows the MD being used.

Cheers

Steve T

wow very awesome videos! From what I've seen, I might buy the bounty hunter sharpshooter....

danneva
    ?

There’s always somebody who is able to find more and better things with a metal detector than any other people who are using the same make and model machine. Each metal detector will respond differently depending on the type of ground. I heard this from one of my friends, ‘’the wetter the ground, the more depth you’re going to get from your detector.’’ This is because water is a much better conductor of electricity than of air. Similarly, your metal detector’s signal can penetrate deeper into the ground when the soil is moist. One more thing, the search coil is the most important part of a metal detector. The size of the coil can influence the detection depth or sensitivity of a metal detector. The larger the coil, the deeper it detects, but will have less sensitivity to small targets. Conversely the smaller the search coil’s diameter, the more sensitive it becomes but looses detection depth.
    Knowing what features to look for in a metal detector can mean the difference between just having fun and actually making a profit.