Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

UV-Lights

Article about: Hey guys I'm looking for some uv lights What kind of UV-Lights do you guys use, Do you use a large tube 60-120cm from disco og one of them to stamps 16x5cm?? Thanks

Default UV-Lights

Hey guys
    I'm looking for some uv lights
    What kind of UV-Lights do you guys use, Do you use a large tube 60-120cm from disco og one of them to stamps 16x5cm??

Thanks

Default Re: UV-Lights

I used a small hand held light which is sold for checking money or stamps etc. (I need a new one as it is broke) But please bear in mind, the UV "Blacklight" is not a "magic wand" It can be a useful tool, but the test is not conclusive.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks Ade

Ok.....time to show a small lack of knowledge !

What do you use the UV lights for ?

Steve T

?

Hi Steve , the uv light is used as an aid to detect if a cloth item is of an old age or if it has been manufactured later ! The item is placed in darkness and has the light shone on it , if it is an old item it will not reflect back a brilliant light , where newer materials and threads will . As Ade has stated , this is not infallible , but can be used as a pointer if you are unsure as to an items originality ,

cheers Al

So when it lights up it's a copy?
    All I can say it is not true for some cases.
    I got in the 90's from an old retailer WW2 LW insgina shop that is now a clothing store a lot of original late war Insignias out.
    With the UV light some piping's did glow on some boards!