Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What is the Law for relic hunting in Belgium?

Article about: Hi all, I have a couple of questions so here it goes. In the sticky with this type of information both links say awaiting further information. I will be going to Belgium in June 2010 and wou

Default What is the Law for relic hunting in Belgium?

Hi all,
    I have a couple of questions so here it goes. In the sticky with this type of information both links say awaiting further information. I will be going to Belgium in June 2010 and would like to bring the old medal detector and look for some relics. I have searched here in the States on American Civil War battle fields with some success. What is it like for an American to do this in Europe? I know that live rounds and ordnance are to be left alone but what about firearms? Can you keep what you find or does it have to be deactivated? Are there any other items that should be stayed away from?
    Thanks for the help.

Default Re: What is the Law for relic hunting in Belgium?

Hi there,

You can metal detect in Belgium, but you must first get permission from the local mayor, and also the land owner. A lot of people try their hand in the Bois Jaque (forest) but it's pretty risky without the appropriate permission. Your likely to get hounded by locals or tourists and accused of 'diggin up war graves' Pathetic I know!!

As for firearms.... forget it mate!! Leave well alone!! The amount of 'red tape' that goes with it just wouldn't be worth the hassle!

That's the official advice anyway!

Hey bartonharley13

Woodyuk is right in his post but there is a little more to add. Some areas of Belgium have recently put in place laws prohibiting the use of Metal detectors even with the local land owners permission, in a similar vein to the new French laws. You need to be very careful and I would advise speaking to the local law enforcement guys, (depending on what region you are visiting), well before going out there.

And Woodyuk is spot on with regards firearms. You can go to jail for a LONG time if you so much as even think about taking one across a european border. Same goes for live ammo/ordnance.

Cheers

Steve T

Thanks guys, right now it looks like we will be in the Luxembourg area. I will be going on a trip with the college that I work for. I have a feeling that the areas we will be are big tourist stops so probably a very bad area to look. At this point where should I start with getting permission from the local authorities?

Also the trip I will be on will be going through France to England and then back to the States. Would it be better for me to just post any finds home? I don't want to get into trouble in one country for something I did in another.

To be honest mate, I'd get permission EVERY time! It just covers your ass!

Depending on where your going, could depend on whether it's worth detecting or not. For example France... don't even bother!! The police will confiscate your equipment and take you straight to jail! France is a no-no for tourism metal detecting!!

Check your itinery mate, and do a bit of research on that particular area. It could be you don't need a detector at all. The Bois Jacque for example (Ardenne) is littered with relics. If you do take your chances with a detector, keep it simple... detector and a small digging tool.

As for your finds, you should be ok with most things apart from firearms, and live munitions. Just chuck any finds into a bag and lose them deep inside your suitcase!

Good luck buddy!

Well, if you're coming to England, maybe you have time to come and see one of us ? Certainly if you can get to the Midlands, I could even take you to an old airbase or two At the very least, you can come and put your 'hands on' a load of ground dug relics

Woodyuk is perfectly accurate, don't even THINK about MDing in France..........you'll get a load of grief and may even land in jail. It ain't worth it. English laws are a lot more relaxed and, so long as you have the landowners permission, will be fine digging old bases etc.

You can take anything that isn't live on the plane with you, but please be prepared to be searched. A suitcase full of scrap metal is bound to attract interest

Give me a PM if you wanna meet up.....I'd be more than willing to take you on a trip to one of our many airbases

Steve T

Quote by Steve T View Post
    Well, if you're coming to England, maybe you have time to come and see one of us?

Give me a PM if you wanna meet up.....I'd be more than willing to take you on a trip to one of our many airbases

Steve T
    Not Burtonwood though!!!

Quote by WoodyUK View Post
    Not Burtonwood though!!!

Nah.....somewhere where he'll find something !!!!

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/battl...g-finds-12836/

Steve T

I think he's probably best goin with you then mate.... well... unless ring pulls are his thing! Haha!

Bloody shame about Burtonwood though! It's polluted behond beleif! I still think there's some 'special' pieces on there somewhere, but being so big, it's bloody hard to say where!

Steve T and WoodyUK,
    I would love to tag along for a dig on an old air base. The only thing is that we will be in London for three busy days. I may be able to get away for a whole day though as I have already done the tourist thing in London. If that is the case I would just need to figure out the best way to get to the Midlands.

As far as the authorities in Belgium who should I try to get permission from? Do I just contact the mayor’s office in the local town?
    Thanks for all the help.
    Devin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast