Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

SS storm leader (lieutenant) (untersturmfuhrer) collar tab

Article about: bought this today for very very little money. I belive it to be a possibly authentic collar tab. shows signs of age and wear but overall in solid shape. to my understanding this came from a

Default SS storm leader (lieutenant) (untersturmfuhrer) collar tab

bought this today for very very little money. I belive it to be a possibly authentic collar tab. shows signs of age and wear but overall in solid shape. to my understanding this came from a soldier grouping, this and his other SS collar tab, some papers, ID books, and I belive a few other items including an SA dagger. My friend has bought most of this and I will try to get it from him. I belive these are worth quite a lot if authentic (iv been told around 1000). also on the back there are possible signs of glue. I belive it was quite common to glue these to scrapbooks at the time as I have one other german patch with glue on the back. I appreciate all the comments good or bad as I know this site is where I will find my answer. thank you very much for your time.
    thanks!
    Beau

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS storm leader (lieutenant) (untersturmfuhrer) collar tab
    P
    Many

The pictures aren't especially great, but I think this tab looks authentic. It's hard to see the quality of the material itself, but the pips (and their prongs) look good, and the stiffened buckram looks alright. The piping appears correct, and it seems to be attached to the tab with the characteristic widely spaced single stitches (from what I can see). You are correct in that this tab was clearly glued to something (like a scrapbook page) for display. I'd also like to note that this does not appear to have been an SS-Untersturmführer tab. On the backside, we can see the remnants of the ribbon that denotes the rank of SS-Obersturmführer. You can also see where the pips have been offset to create room for the ribbon across the front side. It appears that the ribbon was torn/worn off the front of the tab, but the remaining pieces on the back seem to be of the proper construction. SS officer's tabs are valuable, but I wouldn't pay $1000 for this tab, especially given its condition.

I see exactly what you mean! this is a very nice piece but I belive your correct on condition problems. I am curious as to if the man who wore it was perhaps demoted? and then took the ribbon off? Or it could have also been that the scrapbook or somthing overtime had worn the ribbon off. Will try to get some better photos up in the next little while. hopfully I can get his papers and even if i cant buy them for a fair price I know I could get scans at no cost. maybe in his papers I will be able to clarify ranking.
    thanks so much for the responce,
    Beau

I'm happy to give my opinion! Still, in order to be certain, wait for a few others to provide their thoughts.

I think Dave's just about covered it,I agree with him.

heres its pair... I dont currently own it but am trying. whats it worth? need a good retail value so I can make a reasonable offer.
    thanks!

Are you saying that this runic tab is being offered as the matching piece to the rank tab you showed earlier? It doesn't have the glue residue that we saw on the rank tab... You'd think that if these were a set, the owner would certainly have displayed the iconic runic tab in the same way that he did the rank tab.

Anyway, the pictures are not great, but the cloth on that tab appears to have the rough texture commonly found on reproductions. The embroidery also looks pretty sloppy. The bullion is thick, the runes are misshapen, and their positioning is off. The ends of the piping don't seem to be tied off in the usual fashion, and the thread almost seems brown. I just don't like this tab... It looks more like a Pakistani fake than an authentic piece, in my opinion. Anyway, wait and see what some of the others have to say.
    Last edited by daveward; 03-21-2015 at 05:21 AM.

what happened was, a local gold and silver buyer bought a huge collection off of a canadian ww2 doctors son.. I ended up buying mine and my friend bought the other one, I guess we just assumed the two pieces went together. I too also noticed the glue not being present, I would happen to agree that it is unlikley they ever went together. it could be possible the previous ww2 vet bought one or brought mine back and tried to buy a matching one many years later and got this one. Think I will stay away from this piece then unless someone else jumps in and tells me otherwise.

CBH
    ?

I too agree with Dave's view , on both collars . First too expensive , second seems too be a fake .

Beau, congratulations on choosing the authentic tab and getting it for a low price! Here is my matched set of SS-Obersturmführer tabs, so you can see how the rank tab would have originally appeared, and how the runic tab is supposed to look:

SS storm leader (lieutenant) (untersturmfuhrer) collar tabSS storm leader (lieutenant) (untersturmfuhrer) collar tab

SS storm leader (lieutenant) (untersturmfuhrer) collar tabSS storm leader (lieutenant) (untersturmfuhrer) collar tab

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast