Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Totenkopf (panzer ?) - real or fake?

Article about: Hi all, I realize this is yet another boring "real or fake" question, but still I hope to get some input here. I have bought this insignia a very long time ago (when I still was a

Johndoe
    ?

Default Totenkopf (panzer ?) - real or fake?

Hi all,

I realize this is yet another boring "real or fake" question, but still I hope to get some input here.

I have bought this insignia a very long time ago (when I still was a kid) in a militaria shop. I've always had an interest in WW2 (mainly reading, not so much collecting), and a recent talk with a friend about history triggered my desire to finally check whether the insignia I have would be real or fake. I have no expectations here... at that time I wasn't even considering that people would sell fakes and information was only to be found in libraries

The badge has fine detail and it's non-magnetic, thin metal (~0.4 mm), size about 23 mm x 20 mm. The style of prongs I haven't come across when searching the internet, so that has me thinking it might be fake (on the other hand, given the imperfect soldering, they might have been added afterward during a repair).

In the event that I would be real, would this be a Panzer lapel insignia, or one of those imperial cap skulls? (or when not real, what were they trying to fake )

2. # ADS

Looks good to me

?

LOL I just realized I'm responding to a thread from 2015, oh well

I'm leaning towards a cast copy of a an early type panzer collar insignia like these from my collection. While it has nice detail on the front, the reverse side of the badge shows signs of being made in a mold not stamped.

Regards, Al