Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Third Reich cloth

Article about: HI, I am very new to this forum, had seen it by being directed to it a few times and decided to join. I have a question that I would like to ask about cloth materials,including everything, a

Default Third Reich cloth

HI, I am very new to this forum, had seen it by being directed to it a few times and decided to join. I have a question that I would like to ask about cloth materials,including everything, all cloth in the Third Reich. Will all cloth items pass a burn test ? , or are there some items that will not? I know that black lighting is a test that will produce varied results, but what about the burn test? Thanks for your input and knowledge.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Third Reich cloth
    P
    Many

?

Hi Kevin,

Welcome to WRF and happy you joined a great group of collectors with great diversity. Here is my opinion. I have tried the burn test and found it will burn out in seconds if the item is not made of a newer cloth. My feeling is if it burns slowly it is most likely made from a later made material. I know as well some cloth is untreated and treated during manufacturing which will allow for longer or shorter burn times. The real expert is Bob Coleman our Beloved Moderator who will probably weigh in along with others. I have found my sniffer (smell test) and touching various fabric types / weaves has not let me down over the years through study. Good luck and again welcome.
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

?

Welcome to the "Forum" .. There was a great post yesterday about such questions... I am "Aloof" as how to post a link but it was named "Forty year old fakes" posted by non other than Adrian Stevenson... Hope this helps a bit... keep collecting and posting !!! Gwar
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

?

The burn test is used to see if thread used for construction is cotton or modern synthetics.
    I would seriously suggest that you not burn any fabric to establish age or originality if that is what you are asking.

Hey, thanks for making me feel welcome, and for the input thus far. Its funny Rossi mentioned smelling a piece, something I have been doing for years though I have had people and friends look at me like I was from the moon when I do this, take a good whiff. I guess I do all kinds of things that appear strange to authenticate a piece. Think of what a dealer might think if he sees you smelling an item. I suppose if they are collectors also, they would understand. I know that if a thread burns quick and leaves little or no ash, chances are its old. Now, what I don't know if anything at all was produced during the third reich that when burn tested would "melt" or drip leaving a hard little ball of a plastic like residue.

?

Quote by KEVIN23 View Post
    Hey, thanks for making me feel welcome, and for the input thus far. Its funny Rossi mentioned smelling a piece, something I have been doing for years though I have had people and friends look at me like I was from the moon when I do this, take a good whiff. I guess I do all kinds of things that appear strange to authenticate a piece. Think of what a dealer might think if he sees you smelling an item. I suppose if they are collectors also, they would understand. I know that if a thread burns quick and leaves little or no ash, chances are its old. Now, what I don't know if anything at all was produced during the third reich that when burn tested would "melt" or drip leaving a hard little ball of a plastic like residue.
    At that point I would gather a 'Fake" IMO... I have actually been looked at like a "Looney" by using a magnifying glass at some shows and seeing a better "Makers Mark" and some dealers will actually ask "What Are you doing" ?? Good Luck in your collecting and keep us abreast of any and all finds if possible.. It was nice having this conversation with you... Gwar

Funny Gwar, a dealer should kind of know that your trying to get a better look. They should allow you to be comfortable before laying out hard earned money. Like everyone else, dealers are just human and can error and don't know everything. I have a couple dealer friends that will say "I don't know" instead of creating a story.

?

Quote by KEVIN23 View Post
    Funny Gwar, a dealer should kind of know that your trying to get a better look. They should allow you to be comfortable before laying out hard earned money. Like everyone else, dealers are just human and can error and don't know everything. I have a couple dealer friends that will say "I don't know" instead of creating a story.
    The show I was at.. The dealer didn't even know what was M/4 115 .. Hahaha... I scored a great tabbed RaD buckle by P.C.T. for a mere $120.00.. and in great condition... I agree.. I also had a "Slight" argument over a S.S. cap that was a "Genuine" FAKE... With one fellow.. He insisted it was legit.. BAH-Humbug...Shoddy workmanship and he let anyone and every one touch it with "Greasy Hot Dog " fingers... Really ??? G

You have received sage advice on this thread from your fellow collectors. I know a dealer in fake uniforms who actually hung his fake uniforms in a smoke chamber to attempt to emulate battle smoke. The smell test is not always an accurate indicator as is also the black light test. Welcome to the best militaria forum on the web with a collection of knowledgeble and helpful colleagues. No nonsense here.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.