Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

ww1 British brodie helmet

Article about: Just bought this british helmet shell, I know its ww1 due the split rivets and the remnants of the liner. But I'm unsure of the painted letter 'D' and numbers. Also the shell was painted a c

?

Default ww1 British brodie helmet

Just bought this british helmet shell, I know its ww1 due the split rivets and the remnants of the liner. But I'm unsure of the painted letter 'D' and numbers. Also the shell was painted a charcoal colour before the numbers where added. doesn't look like it was ever relined for ww2 use, so could this be all original ww1 or may have it been repainted for another conflict/use?

and ideas would be great even if your unsure.

ww1 British brodie helmetww1 British brodie helmetww1 British brodie helmetww1 British brodie helmetww1 British brodie helmet

Hey there,

Bit of a late reply, but hopefully you'll see this. A few years back, I met a small time dealer at a gun show, and we got talking about brodie helmets. He told me that he had some black painted brodies that were used post war by police units.

Apparently they had an extra piece of metal wire adjacent to the chin strap that was used to hang the helmets in the police HQ, I suppose for when they were needed for riot suppression, etc.

Check out this example, which is identical to yours.

The Collector's Guild

It shows the same metal wire that the fellow at the gun show was talking about. I believe yours is the same.

Cheers,

Quinn

No idea on if there is an extra wire there or why, but he helmet has obviously been overpainted a long time after WWI and possibly quite recently. You can see the over painted stacking mark from where it sat on another helmet for many years.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.