Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Coveralls 2nd US Infantry Division: Authentic?

Article about: Dear all, May I ask you about this coveralls with a 2nd US Infantry Division patch. The coveralls have an anti gas flap. What do you think about the patch, is there a way to see if the patch

Default Coveralls 2nd US Infantry Division: Authentic?

Dear all,

May I ask you about this coveralls with a 2nd US Infantry Division patch. The coveralls have an anti gas flap. What do you think about the patch, is there a way to see if the patch could be fixed authentically?

With best wishes
    alter musketier

In memory of my father who was in K-Einsatz, combat engagement, with the RAD in the Alps in 1945, of my grandfather who was with the IR 87 during campaign in France in 1940 and of my grand-uncle who served in the Gardegrenadierregiment Nr. 3 "Königin Elisabeth" and who was killed in action at Craonne, Chemin des Dames in France in 1917

Both are original items.

Very hard to say when the patch was sewn on going from just a photo.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

3rd div. mechanics had them but no patch was ever on them,, only greese and dirt

No insignia were to be worn on HBT clothing, but ofcourse it did happen. Like Ade already said it could have been put on in 1944, 1964 or 2004...

Dear all,

Thank you very much for your advices.

Quote by earlymb View Post
    No insignia were to be worn on HBT clothing, but ofcourse it did happen. Like Ade already said it could have been put on in 1944, 1964 or 2004...
    Yes, this is the problem. IMO at the end the decision to purchase the coveralls (and some other clothing too) depends on its way to stand for its own, state of preservation combined with its price. Not being dazzled by the patch would I purchase it nevertheless?

With best wishes
    alter musketier
    Last edited by Alter Musketier; 01-26-2016 at 10:57 PM.
    In memory of my father who was in K-Einsatz, combat engagement, with the RAD in the Alps in 1945, of my grandfather who was with the IR 87 during campaign in France in 1940 and of my grand-uncle who served in the Gardegrenadierregiment Nr. 3 "Königin Elisabeth" and who was killed in action at Craonne, Chemin des Dames in France in 1917

Hi Alter

I find it hard judging patches on uniforms as the proverbial , you don't know where or when it was done.

However I would like to point out the patch in question is a high quality "GEMSCO" . You can tell this by the special embroidered ribbed effect. Also it is well sewn on , meaning you cannot see the stitching so it has been consciously put on to not show the stitching.

Now a reenactor or faker wouldn't do this , they would use a "modern" made patch. The stitching would be easy to pick up.

If the HBT is legit WWII era , I would be comfortable with it , not 100% but comfortable.

It would be rare to find a 2nd Div HBT patched coveralls.

Now if this guy could wear one and you picked it up ?

This was normal for Armd units wearing patch on chest of HBT's.

Attachment 929502

Phill