Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

P1907 Hooked Quillion Bayonet

Article about: Hello! I picked up these 2 1907 sevens today, one of them being the early rare hooked quillion type. its not in the greatest shape but it has all kind of markings on it. Im wondering what th

?

Default P1907 Hooked Quillion Bayonet

Hello! I picked up these 2 1907 sevens today, one of them being the early rare hooked quillion type. its not in the greatest shape but it has all kind of markings on it. Im wondering what this piece could be worth?

P1907 Hooked Quillion BayonetP1907 Hooked Quillion BayonetP1907 Hooked Quillion BayonetP1907 Hooked Quillion BayonetP1907 Hooked Quillion Bayonet

?

Price is so subjective but if in good condition and its an original hooked quillion around $800. In the condition that yours is in maybe $400-500 depends if someone is looking for the Devonshire Regiment marking.

The problem is that unscrupulous sellers reattach hooked quillions to add value to their piece, especially in this condition as its easier to hide. I wouldn't feel comfortable buying your bayonet without first seeing it in hand. Im not saying yours is one of these, someone with more experience with these may say its all good.

Yours has been reworked and provided this was done in 1913 or later the hooked quillion should have been removed during this process. The problem is that the second digit of the rework stamp is partially missing. It might just be your photos but the condition of the cross guard is not uniform and is rough near to where the rejoin would be.

The hookie looks good to me, the blade is dated correctly, and it doesn't have a clean out hole. I've seen a couple that been "converted" back to the hooked config, but they had been ground off once and the clean out holes drilled. The hooks started to be removed around 1912, and I can't remember if the clean out holes were drilled around that time or later. Those are the 2 things I know of to look for with the hooked quillon bayos.

Its dated 1910. no hole in the pommel and in a consistently worn condition. A good one. I suspect £150-300 depending on the collector. A Devons collector may pay top end most collectors towards the lower. In my opinion of course.

These are about as rare as rocking horse sh*t, and even in that condition I would expect to see a starting price of £300. The fact that it is also regimentally marked adds to the value too.

?

haha thats what I hear about them! I though the D.V.N maybe meant Division but if it means Devonshire Regiment thats excellent!
    I will defiantly hang onto this one unless I find a buyer from Devonshire lol.

So about 1907's, Im good at identifying bayonets, but I know nothing of makers and marks. what are some rare 1907 bayonet makers? I have 6 of these now with 4 different makers. also if anyone knows any rare german bayonet makers that would be great too! I have a dozen or so 98/05's

?

Worldwide Arms were selling modified later Bayonets some years ago. The date of manufacture on the one I was sent was impossible so I received an immediate refund. Quite how many others challenged them I do not know.