Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

M40 for Opinions

Article about: As a collector of primarily cloth SS insignia, I should begin by saying that I know very little about helmets. With that in mind, I'd like to get some opinions on a helmet that I came across

Default M40 for Opinions

As a collector of primarily cloth SS insignia, I should begin by saying that I know very little about helmets. With that in mind, I'd like to get some opinions on a helmet that I came across yesterday. I've never taken the time to study the various features of helmets the way I've scrutinized cloth insignia because helmets have always been out of my price range, but this one is available for a steal (my first red flag). So, I was hoping some of the knowledgeable members of this forum might be able to give me a few opinions on it. I normally like to do an extensive amount of research before considering an item, so I apologize if this is a one-looker piece of junk and I'm wasting the forum's time... I realize that high-quality photos are extremely important, but I just want to know if anyone thinks this one has a chance before making contact with the seller for better pictures.

Here are the photos that were provided:

M40 for Opinions

M40 for Opinions

M40 for Opinions

M40 for Opinions

M40 for Opinions

M40 for Opinions

Based on my limited knowledge of SS helmets, the decal appears to be a Pocher. The stamp bears a resemblance to the lot numbers used on Quist helmets, but I don't see a size stamp anywhere. The liner seems questionable to me (in terms of coloration and condition), but I am certainly no expert. I have no idea if any of these characteristics were ever found on the same M40 helmet during the period. I'm fairly certain that the experienced collectors on this forum can take one look at this helmet and let me know if it's a fake/reproduction. I don't have high hopes for this piece, but I am interested in expanding my knowledge base, so if you'd care to point out some tell-tale details, I'd be eager to learn more! Thanks, everyone!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 for Opinions
    P
    Many

M38
    ?

Hard to tell from these far away pictures but I don't like the liner or the decal from what I see. Close up pictures would help but I don't think it has much chance of being what it is purported to be.

Cheers,
    Terry

Morning, from what little I can see I am not giving the decal much of a chance, it has more wear to it than the rest of the helmet. Putting that alongside the fact that the liner is not good, I would say that this helmet is a completely re-fitted and decaled example only fit for a re-enactor. Leon.

Thanks, guys! I didn't really think this one had a chance, and your opinions seem to be confirming my suspicions. I had to make sure, though! Anyway, I greatly appreciate your help. Good luck with your collections!

Looks like a very nice re-enactors piece, or made to fool... Luckily the liner really gives it away.