Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Imperial Japanese Womens Assoc. banner/flag from Hiroshima

Article about: All, Any thoughts on this flag? I don't read Japanese, but the quality looks good. Mainly what I am wondering is, is it original and from Hiroshima?

Default Imperial Japanese Womens Assoc. banner/flag from Hiroshima

All,
    Any thoughts on this flag? I don't read Japanese, but the quality looks good. Mainly what I am wondering is, is it original and from Hiroshima? Thanks!

Imperial Japanese Womens Assoc. banner/flag from HiroshimaImperial Japanese Womens Assoc. banner/flag from Hiroshima

Yes, Hiroshima chapter of the Defense Women's Association.

大日本国防婦人会
    Dainippon Defense Women's Association

廣島市舟分会
    Hiroshima City, Funairi Section

[Edit: Thanks to Nick pointing out the township of Funairi which I could not fully read]

Your flag is back-to-front and I had to flip the image horizontally to read it.

--Guy
    Last edited by ghp95134; 12-04-2016 at 09:30 PM.

It's no wonder that you couldn't read it. The right side up is like shown below. I don't know what nature of comments you seek, but they don't make fakes of such civilian non-military items, so you are safe in that regard. Of course the fact that they are not faked reflects the limited interest for them on the collector's market, so that may be a negative point for you. A Japanese would not want to pay much for it knowing what it is, but those who don't read Japanese have the advantage of being able to enjoy it for the exotic design, so those things should tend to do better outside Japan.

It was from a township called Funairi in Hiroshima.
    Attached Images Attached Images Imperial Japanese Womens Assoc. banner/flag from Hiroshima 

I see that you have not read this yet The Banner of Golden Brocade it should help you.

Quote by nick komiya View Post
    It's no wonder that you couldn't read it. The right side up is like shown below. I don't know what nature of comments you seek, but they don't make fakes of such civilian non-military items, so you are safe in that regard. Of course the fact that they are not faked reflects the limited interest for them on the collector's market, so that may be a negative point for you. A Japanese would not want to pay much for it knowing what it is, but those who don't read Japanese have the advantage of being able to enjoy it for the exotic design, so those things should tend to do better outside Japan.

It was from a township called Funairi in Hiroshima.
    Thanks Nick! It is from one of the most tragic events of WWII, indeed. But I purchased it due to Hiroshima's historical significance. Thanks again!

These flags are quite colorful and as shown, well made. The tassels are normally made from very heavy material as are the corner tabs, rivets and the flag's body. They are sometimes found along with their black storage boxes, flag display poles, finial and other accoutrements. Similarly, various veteran organization and sport team and awards flags are of like size and elaborately made. As was mentioned, non-Japanese do not seem to collect these flags; most buyers coming from the US and other non-Japanese speaking countries. Of note, however, are the prices seen for these in Japan: which are generally priced to sell in the $300.00-$400.00 range +|-. Sellers in the US often try and get similar or higher values for these with the sports varieties priced higher probably because they sometimes have attractive images of tigers, lions or trophy cups on them. I did see a sports related flag sell at the MAX Show in Monroeville, PA 2 years ago for about $700.00. Your flag is a nice example. Thank you for showing.
    MichaelB

The symbol on top of the overall design is

Dai/Greater

--Guy