Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

K98 Police bayonet.

Article about: Hi all Just acquired a K98 police bayonet recently with a leather frog and what seems to be the correct matching green and silver coloured troddel. This example has unit markings on the cros

Default K98 Police bayonet.

Hi all

Just acquired a K98 police bayonet recently with a leather frog and what seems to be the correct matching green and silver coloured troddel. This example has unit markings on the cross guard but also the locket.

The history of these boyos has always interested me, as I understand they were reworked from the Weimar era. Please feel free to tell me what you guys think and if at all possible, would anybody be able to decipher the unit markings.

Thanks

K98 Police bayonet.K98 Police bayonet.K98 Police bayonet.K98 Police bayonet.K98 Police bayonet.K98 Police bayonet.K98 Police bayonet.K98 Police bayonet.K98 Police bayonet.K98 Police bayonet.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement K98 Police bayonet.
    P
    Many

WOW stunning Horster find..lovely . I can see by the details it is quite complete!

Im not a Police Bayo collector..and a few of the other Gents can chime in on the details on the crossguard.

Nice find Uber !

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Schutzpolizei Kassel.

thank you for bringing bringing that to my attention, the guys at lake side traider traider have a very useful reference guide on the web but it's good to know for sure!

From what from I’m seeing, they are shown in various period German Police publications as the P.S.n. (Polizeiseitengewehr nichtaufpflazbar) ie: Police bayonet that cannot be attached (to a rifle) and this one looks like a very nice example from one of the better makers. Best Regards, Fred

?

Nice one, late 30ies shortage with correct police frog and knot.b.r.Andy

?

Lovely piece!

Does it have matching numbers on the crossguard and upper backside of the scabbard fitting?

Ger

Quote by Richie B View Post
    Schutzpolizei Kassel.

Yeo, correct. The S.Ka. is Schutzpolizei Kassel. The "I" is actually a Roman figure one for the First Direktion ie Division, Precinct etc and the 322 represents an internal unit serial number which should be the same on the bayonet and scabbard.

You are correct that early types were re-worked Weimar bayonets and these were capable of being fitted to a rifle. On these the "slot" for the rifle bayonet lug would be filled with a strip of felt, red for Municiple Police and green for rural or Gendarmerie.

Your bayonet has neither slot or bayonet release catch meaning that this one was manufactured like that rather than being re-worked as the police bayonet was more a "badge of office" or duty appointment. A good sign with these is numerous small indentations on the rear face of the pommel. These are often called "tap tap marks" and resulted from "plod" in typical fashion using his bayonet to "tap" in nails when putting up notices, orders etc.

The frog and troddel look good too.

Nice piece thanks for showing.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Yes Gerrit, matching serial numbers are also present on the locket of the scabbard. I would have taken a picture however I've always been a bit cautious removing the leather frog, however it is still visible without doing so if not very clear for picture taking.

Dave

How thanks for helping me with such clear info, its funny you should mention these so-called “tap-tap” marks, as can be seen on picture number four I noticed a number of semi-circle type dents. To me they seemed very heavy and I was wondering how that would come about during normal use.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast