Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

German helmet, Restoring or just cleaning it?

Article about: Hello everybody. So i just recently acquired this helmet, an M40 i believe, with a part of the liner and washers for a good price. You can barley see the decal on it, and some painting is st

Exclamation German helmet, Restoring or just cleaning it?

Hello everybody. So i just recently acquired this helmet, an M40 i believe, with a part of the liner and washers for a good price. You can barley see the decal on it, and some painting is still visible. And so my question is: Should i restore it, or just clean it? If so, how should i do it? Any advice would be nice Thanks. Photos attached.
    German helmet, Restoring or just cleaning it?German helmet, Restoring or just cleaning it?German helmet, Restoring or just cleaning it?German helmet, Restoring or just cleaning it?German helmet, Restoring or just cleaning it?German helmet, Restoring or just cleaning it?German helmet, Restoring or just cleaning it?German helmet, Restoring or just cleaning it?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German helmet, Restoring or just cleaning it?
    P
    Many

One should never attempt to restore a German helmet because they are unrestorable.
    Better buy a reenactor helmet fully kitted out and save yourself the trouble.
    Put the liner and the rivets in and be happy that you own a true piece of WW2 history.

Okay, thanks for the advice Any tip on how to clean it?

I would not clean it and keep it in 'as found' condition. I don't see anything that would improve the helmet by cleaning it.

Take a sponge, a bit of warm water and soap. The decal will probably come out. But very gently.

Ps looks like an M35, or it could be an SE M40. Cant see the vents to be sure.

Thank you for the advice! I think the vents are stamped, and i can only see one decal so probably M40. But what does "SE M40" mean? Sorry i'm relatively new in this game

I think the helmet has already been cleaned? There must have been big chunks of rust to leave that pitting behind.