Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Military issue or home use?

Article about: Hi I have recently acquired the attached helmet. Several months ago I decided to collect each standard MK British military issued Helmet. My question is, was the helmet military issued? It i

Default Military issue or home use?

Hi

I have recently acquired the attached helmet. Several months ago I decided to collect each standard MK British military issued Helmet. My question is, was the helmet military issued? It is stamped Joseph Sankey & Sons 1939 and a liner to match. People think it looks green, but I think it's either a grey or a very light blue colour. Thanks for replies in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Military issue or home use?   Military issue or home use?  

Military issue or home use?   Military issue or home use?  

....I'd go with original grey...the liner's early so the paint / helmet could be too.....although these things tended to get repainted. I may be a tad biased but I'd say you've got your Home Front exhibit for your collection....'obviously a lot more interesting than those boring ol' military types... ;-)

...oh and it won't be long before someone tells you it's an RAF helmet......

Thanks for your reply, looks like I'll be getting rid as I'm only focusing on military issue. I don't know if I should start another thread for this, but it's one I need advise plus opinions on. It's a MK1 Brodie, original paint and a strange brass fixing on the top. It's also missing the liner and chinstrap. Would it be worth buying an repro liner and chinstrap and how would I keep the original fixing on the top?

I know that helmets issued to the ARP/Home Guard tended to have holes drilled through the rim. Usually three in a triangle. It was to denote an inferior quality of steel used in their manufacture. Unsure, but I don't think this was done one hundred percent of the time.
    It's honestly a pretty good looking piece, whatever it is. I have yet to acquire a Home Front helmet for myself, actually.

B.B.

Yes, that's what got me. Regarding the holes drilled in the helmet to show inferior quality. The shell feels textured on the outside, but it could be pitting, I'm totally unsure. I was just hoping that this was a military issued Helmet. Thanks for your reply

Very difficult to tell, honestly. I'd imagine it could have been used by anyone, absolutely anywhere. Regardless, it's definitely a period piece.
    The nut on top of the helmet holding the liner in place also seems to be slightly different and much larger than the one on my military-issue Mk II.

B.B.

Like this.

Yes, there seems to be quite a noticeable size difference.

?

As the helmet is a Mk2 No.1, as apossed to a No.2 , it is of military grade. Namely made of manganese steel, what would set it apart as military issue would be textured khaki green paint on the outside.

Thanks for your reply Tinlid. Were these helmets painted in this colour as standard and the khaki colour added later? Could it be possibly a RAF issue?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast