Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

British parachute found in Crete...

Article about: Hello folks, So, a friend of mine found a parachute in Crete. It is British but I would like your help regarding the year of manufacture and a reasonable way of how such an item could have e

Default British parachute found in Crete...

Hello folks,

So, a friend of mine found a parachute in Crete. It is British but I would like your help regarding the year of manufacture and a reasonable way of how such an item could have ended in Crete... If it is from WW2, I would guess that it arrived in Greece with the forces that arrived for the Civil War or perhaps as surplus aid towards Greece after the end of war and remained there for some years with later being transfered to Crete. This may be the reason because there is a Greek Airborne Unit stationed in Maleme Airfield and they gathered all related material there...
    What are your thoughts about it?

Yours,
    Michael
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British parachute found in Crete...   British parachute found in Crete...  

British parachute found in Crete...  

?

Looks like a cargo chute to me

I don't know much! So any information are welcomed!

Hi,

I don't know anything about parachutes however, my wifes uncle was a member of the Raiding Support Regiment during WW2 and parachuted onto Crete to help the Resistance fight against the Germans who were on the Island.

Unfortunately he has long since passed therefore I cannot provide any further information re the 'chute. But hopefully this may be one of the many explanations as to why it is where it is!

?

I think L B A is a German Company that still makes para stuff, if I am correct in that, and as the wording is in English, this would have to be post WW2.

It is weird... I can't find anything re LBA online... But the eagle is a bit odd, suggesting postwar Germany! So, perhaps you're right!

Release 'chute at less than 200mph, seem to be for a drogue 'chute for an airplane? Just my opinion?
    "Per Ardua"

?

What would be good to see is the top if the chute, to see if there is "hole" there.

As for LBA, I did a search and found a lot, try L B A Germany, and making sure you leave spaces between the letters, as I said, I found a lot, all avation or combat equipment

?

I do not think it is a Drogue chute, but I have to admit, I had to think about that for a bit, I was a Medic with the Canadian Airbourn Regt for a few years back in the 80s, I know this is NOT for Jumping or bailing out, and as it is green and due to the clips on the carrier, I would have to go with cargo, however I may be wrong and would be happy for someone else to correct me, as that is the only way we learn, now here is an odd question, at the other end of the risers, not the chute end, is there a metal plate or do they just end, I would like photos of that part

?

It looks like a CLE (Central Landing Establishment) Mark 2 Container parachute. The bag when packed should be approximately 14 inches in diameter. LBA was a German company but might have manufactured in the US or UK just as Ford/GM (Opal) had factories in Germany. BMW made Austin 7's (Dixies) under licence just like Bantam ( original Jeep maker ) did in the US. Multinationals even then.
    Regards
    Tiffy
    PS I've just noticed the letters A.I.D. on the label. this confirms it's British as that stands for Air Inspection Directorate, I know as I was an A.I.D. inspector many moons ago.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast