Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

K98 / Masuer Gewehr 98 bayonet

Article about: This Bayonet was given to me by my grandfather who found it one day, he painted with a brown paint so when he gave it to me the first thing I did was to sand it down to see the metal underne

Post K98 / Masuer Gewehr 98 bayonet

This Bayonet was given to me by my grandfather who found it one day, he painted with a brown paint so when he gave it to me the first thing I did was to sand it down to see the metal underneath the paint now I got stuck since the bayonet´s surface is filled with smal dents and I dont know what to do next. It´s probably a WWII era bayonet but I´m not sure.
    I´m stuck with the restoration since i dont know how to smooth the surface of the knife.

Here are some pictures
    K98 / Masuer Gewehr 98 bayonet K98 / Masuer Gewehr 98 bayonet K98 / Masuer Gewehr 98 bayonet K98 / Masuer Gewehr 98 bayonet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement K98 / Masuer Gewehr 98 bayonet
    P
    Many

Hello morcious. It's an admirable task you re undertaking. But unfortunately what you are referring to as small dents are actually rust pits and cannot be removed without grinding them away and by that point there would be nothing left. You may try a low grade acid like vinegar to try and clean them out and oil it after for protection. I'm not certain it may be WW1 as I believe most wartime k98's had bakelite grips not wood, but I suppose it could be left over stock. Most importantly is to preserve the memory of your grandfather and appreciate it for what it is. A nice relic blade that has seen better days but still sentimentally worth keeping. Best regards and welcome to the forum.

Brian

K98 / Masuer Gewehr 98 bayonet

I ve had pretty good results with this product, I believe it's citric based. It's a very user/environmentally friendly product that produces good results. I actually place the item I want cleaned in a large graniteware pot and heat it on very low temperature using an electric griddle. Hot acid is more effective for cleaning than cold. Be cautious to not saturate the grips as the wood will swell and may destroy them. Best of luck.

Brian

Yeah pretty rough shape indeed. As suggested above I would try this product. No matter what the outcome this should be a treasured piece of history from a family member and should be kept. Good luck with it.

I would agree it is best left as is.

It's a relic now, but one with a family connection. I wouldn't use any acid on it, as it will take away the dark pitted areas which actually gives a bit of character to it.
    Just a coating of light machine oil would do the trick.
    You said your grandfather picked it up. Was that a veteran bring back or a post war find?

?

Already a heavy corrosion, removed rust, but in previous was probably the blade sharpened or used as farmer knife, the markings are probably removed already.b.r.Andy

Thank you for your reply guys after almost 3 years I came to visit the site. A haven´t touched the bayonet after the restoration or shall I call it sanding it down. It has been in my vitrine ever since . I was afraid to work on it to be honest, not to damage it more then it was dameged. As I mentioned my grandfather gave it me and he found it outside of the village we live in whilst working in the fields. After a time he painted it with brown paint /I guess to preserv it/. He also found anotherone but the blade was broken cca in the half of it´s lenght so he used it as a work knife. I´m not well-seen about my bayonet but after searching the internet I came to a conclusion that it´s a WW2 M1884/98 III German bayonet. The wooden grip is most probably original but worn out and dried out too. Not long ago I was given a WW2 shovel by my grandfather without any backstory where he got it or whose it was but I can ask around and let you know fellas. I cant post some pictures here or somewhere elsewhere on the forom or a picture sharing site and you can take a look Here it is /to note: it´s not mine but looks like exactly as on the picture but in a way better condition/ https://i.ytimg.com/vi/-PYDPB-rPTo/hqdefault.jpg

I think the spade you have might be WW1 rather than WW2 vintage. Regarding your bayonet preserve, but do not clean by any abrasive methods as this will only further damage the surface. Your aim should be to stabilise and preserve rather than aggressive cleaning.

Btw posting photos from external image sites is frowned upon as such links can be lost. If you can take photos of items, even on your phone you can upload them here.