Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

British Brigadier General Grouping!****** Estate Purchase Miniature Medals, sword, etc...

Article about: Recent estate purchase, Would absolutely love to hear your thoughts. I just recently started picking up ww1 items and came across this and knew I had to have it. Was told it belonged to a de

Default Need help:: British Brigadier General Grouping!****** Estate Purchase Miniature Medals, sword, etc...

Recent estate purchase,

Would absolutely love to hear your thoughts. I just recently started picking up ww1 items and came across this and knew I had to have it.
    I don't believe its authenticity is to be questioned but I would love to hear any expertise you all have regarding these materials in this era as I have minimal knowledge. Thanks@

Was told it belonged to a decent of Brigadier General Sir William Thomas Francis Horwood

He has quite a bit of information on Wikipedia apparently and some cool portraits in museums in Great Britain. Other than that don't know much about this gentlemen.

British Brigadier General Grouping!****** Estate Purchase Miniature Medals, sword, etc...British Brigadier General Grouping!****** Estate Purchase Miniature Medals, sword, etc...British Brigadier General Grouping!****** Estate Purchase Miniature Medals, sword, etc...British Brigadier General Grouping!****** Estate Purchase Miniature Medals, sword, etc...British Brigadier General Grouping!****** Estate Purchase Miniature Medals, sword, etc...British Brigadier General Grouping!****** Estate Purchase Miniature Medals, sword, etc...British Brigadier General Grouping!****** Estate Purchase Miniature Medals, sword, etc...British Brigadier General Grouping!****** Estate Purchase Miniature Medals, sword, etc...British Brigadier General Grouping!****** Estate Purchase Miniature Medals, sword, etc...
    Last edited by Thebryguy; 07-30-2017 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Opinions needed

?

As stated, his Wikipedia listing provides a good synopsis of his career. The medals appear to be his miniature group; the full size group would be much more valuable.
    It does not appear that he ever commanded troops in action, and he retired before he would likely have seen service in the Boer War, but, still, a great grouping, even more so if you could locate his full size medal group.

BobS

Yeah I agree, I wish they were still around. Thanks for the info!

CBH
    ?

Great group, I'd consider having the metals framed with his photo.

They'd look great with a nice background material.

Thanks for sharing.

very interesting idea, that would look great!

Hi Thebryguy! These pieces all came from a recent Hilliard & Co. auction on 22 July, in Virginia. You can see these various auction lots and their estimates and final “hammer” price here (click on the individual pictures in the page to bring up the description and hammer on each individual lots):

https://new.liveauctioneers.com/cata...state-auction/

The Victorian Lieutenant’s commission is very nice, and while they are not very scarce, they do typically bring about $200 or so at auction. But just even getting one framed can cost $100. The fact that this is an interesting one from an interesting person would increase the value in my opinion.

The sword is a bit problematic, because it only comes with oral “family history” as the Hilliard Auction catalogue description very, very carefully states when it says, “According to family history this sword, which has seen use, was in possession of the General….” Unfortunately, such hearsay doesn’t mean a lot in the world of collecting – you really need a notarized letter from the family explaining it all, for the history to stick (and even then it’s all a bit suspect in the eyes of some collectors). Is the General’s name acid-etched on the blade? That would be nice. I’m not expert with swords, but it does look like a typical British Light Infantry sword of the late 19th or early 20th century, albeit in rather poor condition with all the rust on the hand guard and the scabbard – you may want to do a bit of research on who can help you restore/conserve the sword. For now, don’t put more than just some silicone spray or some Renaissance Wax on it. The blade itself seems still to be rather bright, with nicely frosted background. Is there a Maker marked on the sword blade? (for example, near the Ricasso, maybe “Hawkes” or “Wilkinson” etc.) Its condition rather brings it down, but if the maker is a good one, the value goes up a bit.

The medals are very nice and well-presented, but as was mentioned earlier, it’s not the full-size medal set (which reportedly the General is wearing in the picture) and so the bigger value is in the full-size medals, Can you go back to the descendants of the General and make an offer for the full size medals, if they still have them? I can’t really match the medals in the photo with the miniature set (photos not crisp enough) so you may want to see if you can match the medals to make sure they are matching what’s in the photos as if not, that could be an issue. The auctioneer did categorically state in the auction that they are the General’s medals, and so there’s more comfort there, but still a notarized letter would be a nice to have, if you can get it from the family. I’d want to ask, how does the auctioneer know that? (i.e., is it “oral history” again?)

Lastly, don’t be tempted to clean any of the medals – leave them be. You’ll remove value if you clean. I hope that’s helpful to you!

Also, here's a whole 'nother page of Brigadier General Sir William Thomas Francis Horwood photos:

Sir William Thomas Francis Horwood - Person - National Portrait Gallery

?

I would also like to see better pic's of the sword makers mark. I don't think it is a Wilkinson. Their proof plug was in a six pointed star that is actually 2 triangle's one inverted over the other to form the star. With the triangle representing strength .The 2 triangles is meant to represent "Twice as Strong" This started in 1844.

There is a descendant of Wilkinson on another sword forum I frequent. That's were I got the info about the star.
    Well he is descended from John Latham who took the Wilkinson name.

That makers mark might be from Mole. Better pic's will tell
    Great grouping by the way.

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Last edited by AZPhil; 07-31-2017 at 10:19 PM.

Yes thank you! They were a great auction house to use. highly recommended!.

Never thought about using spray to preserve the rust on the scabbard. Ill have to check the blade for markings! From the accolades on Wikipedia and other sources it seems the order in which this person received them matches the ordering on the miniature medals, do you think that should give some clarity onto the connection of this piece?

Unfortunately the woman who sold then was adamant about her secrecy (So the auction company says), probably for this exact reason lol. Thanks for the help!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast