Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M35 EF62 "DD" Army Heistadmoen

Article about: Hi guys. Today I want to show you a recent woodwork find. I bought this from a relative of a man who served at Heistadmoen Military Camp in Norway after the war. Heistadmoen was occupied and

Default M35 EF62 "DD" Army Heistadmoen

Hi guys.

Today I want to show you a recent woodwork find. I bought this from a relative of a man who served at Heistadmoen Military Camp in Norway after the war. Heistadmoen was occupied and pretty much built by the Germans during WW2. After there were a lot of untouched helmets in a warehouse and that is the origin of this helmet.

The helmet is a M35 DD Army EF62 lotnr 41458.
    The decal appears to be the "ET-style" produced of August Jüttner which is normally seen on EF helmets from 1938-39 jf. Ken Niewiarowiczs decal book page 66.
    The reinforced aluminum band is dated 1939.
    The national shield is overpainted due to regulations, but still very visible.
    Unfortunately the chinstrap is missing.

Notice the big V in front of the helmet on picture number 5. Is it a V for "victory" in may 1945? Or is it a German unit marking? What do you think? In hand it is very clear that it is not a random scratch.

Enjoy!

MrMiler.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M35 EF62 "DD" Army Heistadmoen   M35 EF62 "DD" Army Heistadmoen  

M35 EF62 "DD" Army Heistadmoen   M35 EF62 "DD" Army Heistadmoen  

M35 EF62 "DD" Army Heistadmoen  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M35 EF62 "DD" Army Heistadmoen
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Nice and interesting helmet. Never seen a national shield "painted over like that. Looks quite sloppy and a long drip to the side. Paint however certainly is aged.

That is a very high lot number for an M35. Probably one of the last ones produced. Decal looks to be a Juttner but will leave to others with more knowledge.

I like it!!!!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thank you.

Yes, the paint is certainly sloppy. My guess is that one guy had the job of painting over all the helmets so he just put one quick stroke and threw it aside to dry.

MAP
    ?

I will add, that I would not put this in the "untouched" category. This one certainly was a lot of nice honest usage.

If it was my helmet, I would have gone back and slapped a coat of paint on the guy who did the paint job...LoL

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    I will add, that I would not put this in the "untouched" category. This one certainly was a lot of nice honest usage.

If it was my helmet, I would have gone back and slapped a coat of paint on the guy who did the paint job...LoL

You would NOT put this in the untouched category? I assume you mis-wrote your sentence? To me there is no doubt the national shield was overpainted during ww2 after the directive came who said all shields was to be removed or painted over.

What Im getting out of this is that the helmet is not untouched as stated ...so if Im confused by Michaels wording that he stated in his mind the helmet is not untouched ..please explain it to me so that I understand.

It appears MAP is in full agreement with you .

Correct me please in my understanding

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

MAP
    ?

To clarify (I think what I wrote was clear...maybe I'm wrong...LoL )

I would say a helmet that is untouched would be a pristine example that has not been altered and or worn (hardly worn).

This helmet has been used, worn, and the shield has been painted over...

That said, it is a great helmet IMHO...

Aha. I guess we have different definitions of the word "untouched" when it comes to collecting militaria. I believe most collectors use the word "untouched" when nothing has been done to it post-war. "Done to it" meaning altered, painted, swapped parts and so on after ww2.

Anyway, we agree on the helmet. Have a good one.

Nice lid, I like the sloppy paint job on the shield - one lick of paint, job done! Don't often see that type of finish on a helmet, gives it abit of character.

MAP
    ?

Quote by MrMiler View Post
    Aha. I guess we have different definitions of the word "untouched" when it comes to collecting militaria. I believe most collectors use the word "untouched" when nothing has been done to it post-war. "Done to it" meaning altered, painted, swapped parts and so on after ww2.

Anyway, we agree on the helmet. Have a good one.
    Classic case of "Who's on First". LoL...each trying to understand what the other is saying...

I agree that "Untouched" is typically used for post war work. But when our compatriot MrMiler stated that "there were a lot of untouched helmets in a warehouse and that is the origin of this helmet", I incorrectly assumed he meant the proverbial "barracks queen" (i.e. a near mint M35 that sat on a shelf and never saw any real use).

So all is well that ends well...oh the power of the misunderstood written word. Maybe we should convert the forum to Facetime??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast