Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Any thoughts on this Type 90 Japanese Army Helmet?

Article about: Saw this one several days ago and it looks good to me; however, I have had bad luck with Type 90s in the past. The patina of the paint and the rust like color in the interior seem to be good

Default Any thoughts on this Type 90 Japanese Army Helmet?

Saw this one several days ago and it looks good to me; however, I have had bad luck with Type 90s in the past. The patina of the paint and the rust like color in the interior seem to be good signs. The chinstrap and liner also look good to me. The seller states that the liner is "very stiff", which is also a good sign of age. He does say that he believes the liner and chinstrap to be reproductions/replacements, perhaps because of their good condition? However, they seem to me to match the rest of the helmet. There are a few concerns I have. First, I am worried that the paint might be post war, as was true with the last Japanese helmet I bought. Second, the bottom of the liner seems suspiciously clean. Is that due to the camera flash? I am a novice when it comes to these so any help would be much appreciated!

Hello,

I have no issue about the liner by itself, the drawsting looks correct. There should be a stamp un in ink on the white back side of one of the leather flaps with date and manufacturer info. And another in the leather itself near the chinstrap fixation with the size.

I would wait pictures of theese markings prior buying a Japanese helmet, and pass on it if they are missing.

Then, I find a way to explain why the liner looks so dark, and the outside si clean. Did you ask the seller if it have been cleaned ?

There is no painted kanji with the size on the rim and it shows very little wear if any.

It looks like an unissued helmet with a mint but dirty liner. See under the flaps the leather is very clean. This could be ok, on my helmet which is way more worn, the flaps are way cleaner on the back side because it was protected. Maybe it's only dark from storage if it was stored like in your two last pictures several decades.

Lets see if it has the proper stamps and if it's the case I would be confident this helmet is legit.

Oh and by the way, a couple of outside pictures under daylight would help for the paint as the flash may be confusing sometimes. But I see no ones of the usual red flags of repainted helmet so far.

Cheers,
    Mat.

You are obviously not looking for a 100% original, and not ready to pay the price of a one-looker, if you are contemplating something described as partially repro, so I will only say that you need better photos of the paint surface to rule out a repaint, though the tone of the color looks OK.

Sorry double post please delete.

Here is mine if you want to compare. It's way more worn, paint shows a lot of texture on the outside, it could vary from helmet to helmet because of the last touch of paint helmets received on the star and rivets.

Oh, and even if it's obvious, this is well worth reading prior buying a Japanese helmet :

The Evolution of the Japanese Army Steel Helmet (1918-1945) Revised and Expanded Version

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Any thoughts on this Type 90 Japanese Army Helmet?   Any thoughts on this Type 90 Japanese Army Helmet?  

Quote by Mathieu C View Post
    It looks like an unissued helmet with a mint but dirty liner. .

This confused me as well.

I will ask for better pictures in natural sunlight. And also ask if there is any kanji on the bottom of the liner.

?

Hello, What you are looking at is a helmet that has been repainted and reproduction liner and chinstrap installed. Here are the telltale signs: look at the red circle, this shows the incorrect style and diameter chinstrap retaining ring. Originals are smaller and thicker gauged metal. Look at the green circled areas, these clearly show that the reproduction liner was aged after it was installed in the helmet. It looks like shoe polish / dye was used and it missed some areas of the leather and got on the inside of the helmet paint. Not a 100% original helmet by any means. The star looks repo as well.

PG-
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Any thoughts on this Type 90 Japanese Army Helmet?  

With out more close up pictures of the liner,star,paint I would not be comfortable with this helmet. From the pictures provided I do not like this helmet. I believe the liner is a reproduction.
    Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Thanks guys, I'm glad I asked here. I'll be steering clear of this one. Thanks Mathieu for sharing that superb helmet. That neck cover must be really rare, as I don't recall seeing another like it.

Hi,

I trust Paul and Mary, this is my one and only Japanese helmet so I don't have much experience with them. But the aging is clearly suspect. I agree with Paul it does looks like shoe polish, good eyes.

Thanks to another sticky on the top of the Japanese subforum ( The Development of the Army Field Cap (1932-1938) ) I am pretty confident the neck flap displayed with the helmet is period, I am opening a topic to introduce it, show the markings and check this out.