Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Please help with translating the writing on sword

Article about: My grandfather who is now 87 years old served 20 years fought 3 wars he gave this to me recently can you tell me anything about it and what it says

Default Please help with translating the writing on sword

My grandfather who is now 87 years old served 20 years fought 3 wars he gave this to me recently
    can you tell me anything about it and what it saysPlease help with translating the writing on swordPlease help with translating the writing on swordPlease help with translating the writing on swordPlease help with translating the writing on swordPlease help with translating the writing on swordPlease help with translating the writing on swordPlease help with translating the writing on sword

I don't have a good feeling about this sword as the writing says 斉燮元奨
    the first 3 kanji is the name of a Chinese general who was trained in Japan. https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E6%96...87%AE%E5%85%83

Whether it's an outright fake, I'll defer to the sword guys to answer.

Camile (is that your name?)

This is quite an interesting sword! I would appreciate seeing more of the blade, including a closeup of the blade tip. A light colored background helps, like a sheet or blanket, when taking pictures.

?

The mounts, particularly the tsuba are a bit dubious..... Could be one of the Chinese made "emergency/collaborators" swords though.Please help with translating the writing on swordPlease help with translating the writing on sword

Thanks! This is classic style for a "Java" or "PETA" sword. They were made by forces working for the Japanese in occupied lands, like Java. That it has a Chinese general's name on it is quite unusual, but fits the manufaturing style of the rest of the sword.

ill upload some now sorry took me so long

Please help with translating the writing on swordPlease help with translating the writing on swordPlease help with translating the writing on sword

i will take some better ones tomorrow for you , im at work and these are the ones i have on my laptop

Camile,

With the new pics, how about better closeups of these areas - more views of the handguard detail, the copper band at the hand-guard end of the handle and the end-cap on the end of the handle, please.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Please help with translating the writing on sword  

?

Quote by Bruce Pennington View Post
    Thanks! This is classic style for a "Java" or "PETA" sword. They were made by forces working for the Japanese in occupied lands, like Java. That it has a Chinese general's name on it is quite unusual, but fits the manufacturing style of the rest of the sword.
    Yep. At best a souvenir or collaborator sword, at worst a crude copy from India.

If it were mine, I would clean that red rust off the blade. Red rust is active rust and it is acceptable to clean that off to prevent further damage to the blade.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast