Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Hungarian M50 post-war helmet, need help!

Article about: I am an Assistant Curator at a leather museum in Northampton, England. I recently went to Budapest and visited the Hospital Under the Rock. Here I purchased a Hungarian M50 helmet c.1950s an

Default Hungarian M50 post-war helmet, need help!

I am an Assistant Curator at a leather museum in Northampton, England. I recently went to Budapest and visited the Hospital Under the Rock. Here I purchased a Hungarian M50 helmet c.1950s and obtained some information about it from the museum itself. I am, however, still wondering what the stamp inside refers to? There is a big white 'II' (size?) and then a smaller black stamp adjacent. Does anyone know what these mean?

Also, the padding inside is blue. Other examples I've seen have been white/green/etc. Does the colour refer to anything e.g. different date or type? Or was it luck of the draw?

I am hoping to exhibit this item after Christmas so would be grateful for any extra information anyone has!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hungarian M50 post-war helmet, need help!   Hungarian M50 post-war helmet, need help!  

Hungarian M50 post-war helmet, need help!   Hungarian M50 post-war helmet, need help!  

Hungarian M50 post-war helmet, need help!  

The white marking is the shell size, in Roman numerals. Yours is a 2, therefore. There were five shell sizes (collect the set!).

You may also see shells with the size in conventional numerals, though most of mine (I have fifteen or so) have the Roman size mark. There are a variety of other stamps which might be in the helmets - or might not be, there is no consistency - manufacturer stamps, acceptance stamps and so on. Often illegible dark blobs.

The colout of the cloth pads has no significance at all - just whatever was available at the time.

When you exhibit it, please make the point that although the M50 is similar to the Russian ssh40 it is NOT the same. Distinct detail differences. Many people get this wrong.

There is at least one substantial thread on the M50 here. This will give you lots of interesting stuff - Hungarian M50 helmet

?

The white marking is size 2.
    Only later types had these markings, made in the mid 1960s. The paint of these also different, have a rougher feel to them - and if you check the neck-strap, they are made out of thinner leather with rivets instead of stiching.
    Also, these had dark green and blue cloth pads.

Here is the difference:
    Early type 1950s:
    Hungarian M50 post-war helmet, need help!Hungarian M50 post-war helmet, need help!

Later type made in the 1960s:
    Hungarian M50 post-war helmet, need help!Hungarian M50 post-war helmet, need help!

Cheers,
    Fabe