Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425

Waffen-SS Camouflage in period photos

Article about: A thread of period photos of Waffen-SS troops wearing different camouflage patterns during World War Two. Why? Because Camo is Cool and the SS always seemed to get the coolest kit. Secondly

?

There are two Willrich postcards:

SS-Hauptscharführer Ludwig Kepplinger (31.12.1911 – 6.08.1944)

SS-Obersturmführer Fritz Vogt (17.03.1918 - 03.04.1945)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Waffen-SS Camouflage in period photos   Waffen-SS Camouflage in period photos  

This is a much-published photo (I recall seeing it when I was a kid in some book 40+ years ago).
    He was identified as an SS sniper.
    Having seen it again, is the photo legit, or is it a US propaganda photo?:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Waffen-SS Camouflage in period photos  
    NEC SOLI CEDIT

Yes, I've seen this photo before and the odd thing is I've never seen any other photo of German use of a camouflage pattern like this, it actually looks like a US Marine overalls as seen in the Pacific. The soldiers are apparently British or Canadian, note the No.4 rifle, possibly a pre-D Day training exercise.

Coverall is absolutely an American M1942 Jungle Suit... I have one standing on a torso right in front of my deskas I type. While these were intended for the PTO it is not unthinkable some did end up in the ETO as well.

?

Only one unit the 41 Armoured Infantry from 2nd Armoured Division wore this camo suit in Normandy , it could be that this German liberated one . They wore them initially during the Normandy campaign but many of them dumped them as the only other ones to wear similar camo were the Waffen SS and it caused a lot of blue on blue.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Almost all pics I have seen of this camo in Normandy was of the 2-piece suits. I think this could be a staged shot.

I agree, note the helmet has no cover. By 1944 use of helmet covers by SS was widespread, especially you would think for a sniper. I think it's a training exercise.

MAP
    ?

Did anyone notice the Enfield? Looks like a sniper stock on it. But no scope.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425