Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

What type of Japanese Katana is this?

Article about: Hey, I've been wondering for a while what type of katana I have. It comes from my grandfather who said he picked it off an officer in Borneo. I know it's probably a common one and that it's

?

Default What type of Japanese Katana is this?

Hey, I've been wondering for a while what type of katana I have. It comes from my grandfather who said he picked it off an officer in Borneo. I know it's probably a common one and that it's in rough condition but I would really like to know more about it.What type of Japanese Katana is this?What type of Japanese Katana is this?What type of Japanese Katana is this?What type of Japanese Katana is this?What type of Japanese Katana is this?What type of Japanese Katana is this?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What type of Japanese Katana is this?  

From the current set of pictures, it's a non-Japanese made Japanese sword in the form of Type 98 Shin-gunto. If you take more pictures, especially remove the handle to show the sword tang, we'll find out more about it.

Hi,

Not sure we can say it's non Japanese whithout even seeing the blade. Koshirae is the cheap version (wooden scabbard with leather saya and simplified fittings like tassel loop) of type 98 for officiers.

I love the rope loop for tassel. I'have already see this kind of rope on nobori banner and Japanese parachutes. It's some solid stuff.

There is a whithe piece of cloth connected to the loop. It looks like a surrender tag to me. Can you read something on it? You may find first owner data like name rank, home adresse.

?

I see no issues or warning signs, it looks to be a fairly standard Japanese type 98 Shin-Gunto (New Army-Sword) in a field saya, scabbard. It is of the late war type, or possibly just one of the cheaper versions.... officers had to buy their own swords so they were made to a price dependant on the officers finances. Use "Shin-Gunto" as a search term, you will see lots like it. Nothing more to be said 'till we see the whole blade and the tang. If there is writing on the tang, post pictures vertically, and blade to the top as that is how the writing is best read.

?

It looks like one of the better made Chinese Type 98's. I say so because the colouration on the tsuka-ito and fittings match, not to mention the overall look of the sword. I used to own one, well made, but the kissaki and nakago give away the fact they are not Japanese manufacture. Of course the two pictures that would solve this easily are missing.

They're nice swords and deserve a place in any collection. Mine had a dedication from the Chinese defense or ordnance minister. Would need to find a picture.

Of course it could just be the photography that makes it look like one of the wartime Chinese swords. Either way it is genuine and a nice sword.

?

The sword is just fine. Type 98 with leather combat cover and snap.

?

No issues or warning signs that I can see from the photos submitted. Standard Japanese Type 98 Shin-Gunto in a field saya.

Regards,
    Stu

I agree with my colleagues that this is a period original piece.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.