Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Strange large sized german canteen

Article about: Look at this mexico city fleamarket find another of those strange large sized canteen. I published another i found some two years ago, but that one had a handle and was identified as a suppo

Default Strange large sized german canteen

Look at this mexico city fleamarket find

another of those strange large sized canteen.

I published another i found some two years ago, but that one had a handle and was identified as a supposed medical canteen or for airplane crews.

STRANGE Feldflasche with Carrying- Handle, marked ESB41???

I POSTED THE CANTEEN IN DISCUSSION WITH THE OTHER LARGE ONE WITH HANDLE AND A "CLASSIC" SMALL ONE FOR SIZE COMPARISON.

This one has the classic german felt covering, unfortunately the cap is missing..

As it seems they are quite rare and there is very little info about them..

Any thoughts are very welcome...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Strange large sized german canteen   Strange large sized german canteen  

Strange large sized german canteen   Strange large sized german canteen  

Strange large sized german canteen   Strange large sized german canteen  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Strange large sized german canteen
    P
    Many

The larger feldflasche was used by Sanitats, medical personnel. The one with the handle is, I think a later or field made addition.

The handle looks standart, LEBUS12 posted this canteen and the handle is identical.

The interesting thing is that i found a second one at a Mexico City Flea market, but this one in the classic look with hook & cover.. just as the small ones but large sized..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Strange large sized german canteen  

Like this waffen ss soldier?
    Or is his standard size? Hard to tell.
    Nick

Strange large sized german canteen

That's oversized. A case of utilizing what was available in the field to the soldiers comfort or advantage.

Thanks. I intend to grab one soon, normal size probably - I like field kit like this and think it adds depth to a collection. Not crazy expensive either.
    Nick

Quote by HoundsTooth View Post
    Thanks. I intend to grab one soon, normal size probably - I like field kit like this and think it adds depth to a collection. Not crazy expensive either.
    Nick
    Agree Nick. Though my collection is helmets, I display dressed mannequins, small amounts of field gear (very little), some badges & buckles, just to accent my helmets.

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    The larger feldflasche was used by Sanitats, medical personnel. The one with the handle is, I think a later or field made addition.
    I was told Sanitats as mentioned & mountain troops. I looked in 2 reference books, one claimed they were 1 liter & the cups 0.15 liter.

Did you measure the maximum holding capacity ?

no, i did not,but will do it tomorrow and let you know...