Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Gewehr 98

Article about: I just got home from a local gun show and splurged on another gun I don't know much about the Gewehr 98 (G98) but it really caught my eye and I just couldn't go home without it haha. I'm hop

Default Gewehr 98

I just got home from a local gun show and splurged on another gun I don't know much about the Gewehr 98 (G98) but it really caught my eye and I just couldn't go home without it haha. I'm hoping to learn a little more about it here, I can tell it was made by Erfurt in 1916. From what I've examined so far all the numbers appear to match; besides the K98 sight that was added later, probably during WW2. Any additional information however would be much appreciated!

Gewehr 98Gewehr 98Gewehr 98Gewehr 98Gewehr 98Gewehr 98Gewehr 98

From what I can see it looks like a pretty decent example condition wise. Sight does look like an added 98k type but well worth the pick-up. Also a good investment as most milsurp rifles have climbed in value recently. Wish I could tell you more about the markings but am not as familiar as with the 98k. You have my interest up and I will do a bit of research on those markings but am sure others will be along with more knowledge. Nice looking rifle.

Thanks for the reply! Any idea as to what the "*" symbol means above the crown? I'm also curious as to what the symbol represents that's engraved onto the stock. I feel like I've seen it before but maybe not haha

?

The sight rework was done in the mid 1930's. S42 = Mauser-Werke, Oberndorf on the Neckar (Mauser Plant), and the year is defined by S42K(1934) or S42K(1935). Not sure of the meaning of the '*'. Nice rifle.

Thanks for the info! I'm trying to piece this all together as I'm by no means an expert with these rifles, but It appears to be in very nice condition to me

?

This may explain the 'star' on the receiver, learn something new all of the time. New information for me as well. A cut-and-paste from a military surplus collecting forum:

The "star" marking on the receiver and the numeral under the serial show it was a 'stern gewehr'. That is a that rifle failed in some major assembly to meet specs and had to be hand fitted/assembled to make it serviceable. The particular type of star mark is usually associated with a non governmental arsenal doing the assembly , or possibly a depot being sent these parts to make something useable.

Good to know and learn! So basically when it was being manufactured this particular gun required extra work to be made serviceable? I'm a little confused with the non governmental arsenal or depot meaning, but it's a good start!

?

Do some searches on Gewehr 98 manufacturers and you should find some good info. Erfurt was a government manufacturer (Prussian). Rifle then sent elsewhere to be made serviceable and got the '*' stamp. Then in 1935 it got the newer sight like the K98 to come. If only this rifle could talk

That's an interesting rifle. Quite possibly saw service in two World Wars.

Thank y’all for the replies! All pieces and parts seem in good condition, the rifling is very strong though the bore is quite dirty, and the stock is in very good shape! Is there any way to tell if the gun has been modified or restored in any way? All the parts appear to match besides the K98 sights, but it’s hard to imagine a 100 year old gun being in such good shape honestly

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast