Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Relic German Helmet, Real or Fake?

Article about: I currently own this M40 helmet which I am not too sure if it is a genuine or a replica piece? I know the liner is not an original as it is fairly new looking and does not match a single lin

Default Relic German Helmet, Real or Fake?

I currently own this M40 helmet which I am not too sure if it is a genuine or a replica piece? I know the liner is not an original as it is fairly new looking and does not match a single liner I have seen to date, however the lid itself is the part I am interested in. The markings on the side are also too worn down to work out what they originally were, so any help will be much appreciated!
    I apologise for the rotation of the images, I am fighting a losing battle to get the images to be the correct orientation when uploaded, but so far I remain beaten!

Jonny
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Relic German Helmet, Real or Fake?   Relic German Helmet, Real or Fake?  

Relic German Helmet, Real or Fake?   Relic German Helmet, Real or Fake?  

Relic German Helmet, Real or Fake?   Relic German Helmet, Real or Fake?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Relic German Helmet, Real or Fake?
    P
    Many

From what I can see, it's either an M35 shell or trying to be. Maybe someone can straighten the pics out for a better view. The liner is no good as you said. Home made ?

Paint (camo) is questionable until better pics are shown. My gut feeling is the paint is post war including whatever the decals are

From the looks of it, I think this was a 60s era biker helmet. If you look closely it appears each decal was once covered by a hand painted Balkenkruez. Also the liner looks more practical for modern use, and it was probably installed by the same "Biker" who painted over the decals. Unfortunately back when these helmets were popular with bikers, third Reich collecting was in its infancy. So many helmets were customized like this back then. I do have to say this is a very interesting helmet though. Its definitely been around. All in all it appears to be an original WW2 era shell.

Best regards- Jarret

Relic German Helmet, Real or Fake?Relic German Helmet, Real or Fake?Relic German Helmet, Real or Fake?Relic German Helmet, Real or Fake?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Relic German Helmet, Real or Fake?  

Thanks for rotating Brian

Yes...an original M35 shell.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Luftwaffe 1941 View Post
    From the looks of it, I think this was a 60s era biker helmet. If you look closely it appears each decal was once covered by a hand painted Balkenkruez. Also the liner looks more practical for modern use, and it was probably installed by the same "Biker" who painted over the decals. Unfortunately back when these helmets were popular with bikers, third Reich collecting was in its infancy. So many helmets were customized like this back then. I do have to say this is a very interesting helmet though. Its definitely been around. All in all it appears to be an original WW2 era shell.

Best regards- Jarret
    Actually...I always wanted one of these "proverbial" biker helmets....Just a point in the timeline of the life of a Stalhelm....

Now that reminds me to get my bike to the shop to get it fixed....

"Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I had the opportunity to buy a cool biker Stalhelm a few years back. It was painted white, and it had a red stripe on it. I can remember the inside of it was still in its original apple green color, along with the original German soldiers name. Had the original liner too. Now that I look back on it, I should have bought it. Like you said, they show a point in the timeline of these helmets.

Best regards- Jarret

Quote by MAP View Post
    Actually...I always wanted one of these "proverbial" biker helmets....Just a point in the timeline of the life of a Stalhelm....

Now that reminds me to get my bike to the shop to get it fixed....

Michael,
    you had a "biker helmet 8 years ago. Was this not yours ?

I think it was !!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Relic German Helmet, Real or Fake?   Relic German Helmet, Real or Fake?  

MAP
    ?

Ha!!! No. I would want one that is chromed with a big Balken or Iron style Cross... Better yet....a Picklehaub!!!!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)