Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

M1 ETO Officer relic?

Article about: Hi folks, I kinda love these things. Doesn't always have to be a near mint M1. This one caught my attention, showing the remains of what could have been a follow me bar on the rear. Also fro

looks to me like a follow me stripe on the back.
    As for the front. might just be my imagination but the marks resemble a circle shape. like a 94th marked helmet, not saying it is a 94th marked helmet just saying its the same sort of shape.
    Its going to one of those ones you will never know for sure.
    Its still a neat piece.
    Rod

Thx for the reply guys,
    I sure can go any direction with this one.

Love the idea that this "might be" a steel pot that has seen some action.
    And it has a nice place on the shelf.

But the search continues for that special one! ( and guess I'm not alone here, am I?)

Peter

'Scuse my ignorance here guys ( as I'm not a M1 collector ) but I thought the main purpose of the stripes on the rear was so as not to identify the rank of the wearer to an enemy sniper rather than "follow me". ...... ( I thought the non-coms were out in front anyways ).......

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

It is to far gone to determine what they may have been, what it is, is a nice been there shell and that in its own right should be enough, nice piece.

Quote by greatwhite View Post
    It is to far gone to determine what they may have been, what it is, is a nice been there shell and that in its own right should be enough, nice piece.
    Spot on!

Thanks Jaws.

Just something i have always called it mate. Excuse me. As john says the proper term is a leadership stripe which of course would have been on an officers helmet. Some do say the idea was that it was so the soldiers behind could easily identify who was in charge but as you say not present themselves as an easy target to a sniper. Must have been a bugger not being able to look behind themselves. Sure lots of them would have covered them up. Lots of debated and writing about the subject.
    Best regards
    Rod

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2