Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Identifying an AKM Type II bayonet 6x4

Article about: Hi! I recently acquired this AKM Type II bayonet and, as far as I can see, after doing some research, this example seems to be a Soviet made bayonet from the Izhevsk Arsenal. Note the arrow

Question Identifying an AKM Type II bayonet 6x4

Hi!

I recently acquired this AKM Type II bayonet and, as far as I can see, after doing some research, this example seems to be a Soviet made bayonet from the Izhevsk Arsenal.
    Note the arrow logo (full) on both the scabbard and the grip.
    Furthermore, it came with a tan web retention strap and brown pebble-grained leather belt hanger, which I read is typical for these bayonets of the time.

There is, a presume, the mold number 79 on the scabbard, and the numbers "26/2" on the grip (same side as the Izhevsk Arsenal logo).

However, I can not find any serial numbers visible to the naked eye, nor do I see any signs of removing serial numbers. No electro-pencil marks either.

There are 2 more marks, but barely visible. On the grip, left of the Izhevsk logo is a faintly visible stamp - a rectangle with a capital M inside of it. The other markings are letters "OTK 5" on the scabbard.

There is also a makr on the opposite side of the grip, below the ricasso - a circle with a partial letter, maybe the letter "K" or "M"?

I am hoping that it is a genuine Soviet made Izhevsk bayonet 6x4 (AKM Type II) with its original accessories, but the lack of any other markings and serial number is troublesome.

Can anyone help me?

Thank you in advance. I have provided photographs of the bayonet below.

Identifying an AKM Type II bayonet 6x4Identifying an AKM Type II bayonet 6x4Identifying an AKM Type II bayonet 6x4Identifying an AKM Type II bayonet 6x4Identifying an AKM Type II bayonet 6x4Identifying an AKM Type II bayonet 6x4Identifying an AKM Type II bayonet 6x4
    Last edited by rogueX18; 08-08-2018 at 09:46 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Identifying an AKM Type II bayonet 6x4
    P
    Many

Hi,

I'm not an expert of akm bayo, but in my opinion yours is good and very nice looking example

You're right about the arsenal (Izhevsk), OTK-5 is a quality control mark (OTK : Отдел Технического Контроля - Otdyel Tekhnicheskovo Kontrolya i.e. Department of Technical Control if i'm correct).

I'm not sure these were always numbered, IMO.

Best regards

Gabriele

Thank you for the reply!

Yeah, the blade and scabbard are in really good condition, the handle is a little beat up. But I am happy to add it to the collection.

Thank you for the information, particularly about the quality control mark - I didn't know that was what it was.

Examples I have seen were numbered, either stamped/engraved or electro-epciled, so I thought something was odd. It could be that not all were serialized. Not sure...