Become our sponsor and display your banner here

German Compass

Article about: I acquired recently this compass and I have a question about it. It's maker marked "CXN" from "Emil Busch AG. Optische Industrie", there are other markings underside incl

R.R
    ?

Default German Compass

I acquired recently this compass and I have a question about it.

It's maker marked "CXN" from "Emil Busch AG. Optische Industrie", there are other markings underside including a hand painted "84" number and I think it's a wartime compass.

But my question is what mean the large "A" letter painted on top cover. I'm seeing others german compasses with the same "A" painted on the net, most of them "CXN" marked There are some old threads at WAF about it, but I think the answers there were inconclusives.

Please, there are some new informations about this "A" painted on german compass covers?

German Compass

German Compass

German Compass

German Compass

German Compass

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Compass
    P
    Many

The A marked compass information can be found in the document H.Dv 362 Marschkompaß. I believe it relates to a rotating outer dial for locating magnetic North. It does not indicate Armee or Artillerie as some have thought. NH

Here is my Marschkompass A for comparison - WWII era like yours. Also attached photo of front page from the manual that describes the construction and operation. NH

German CompassGerman CompassGerman Compass

R.R
    ?

Thank you Neil, please, have you a copy from the manual text describing the Marschkompass A characteristics?

R.R. Apologies - I do not have the manual. Photo of front page is from Google images. NH