Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Quick ID and thoughts

Article about: Hello all I was just sent a couple of pics showing a bayonet style I am not familiar with The fittings appear to be chromed ?? any thoughts? Regards G.

Default Quick ID and thoughts

Hello all I was just sent a couple of pics showing a bayonet style I am not familiar with The fittings appear to be chromed ?? any thoughts? Regards G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Quick ID and thoughts  
    Attached Images Attached Images Quick ID and thoughts 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Quick ID and thoughts
    P
    Many

Looks to be a parade/private purchase version of the german S1871/84 bayonet, but I would call it a transitional version of around the time the S84/98 was introduced in 1905. This is because it lacks the muzzle ring like a S84/98 but in other respects, such as the pommel detail, is a S71/84. I would see this as a transition as makers modified existing parts to conform to the new pattern.

Cannot get a more detailed and accurate description beyond Anderson. Nice work!
    John

?

Is not a S71/84 as the press button is other side on pommel, it could be some export piece, that was later refurbished to dress configuration in manner of S71/84. There was probably a hook on guard, same as blade was longer. b.r.Andy

Good point, but you need to remember, at the time this was made, there was NO specification makers had to follow with regards parade bayonets. They had a free hand on construction unlike in the military contracts. So the side for the mortice button (and some were non functioning) is immaterial. As I said this appears to be a hydrid based on the S1871/84 but modified to reflect the new S84/98. And yes, surplus longer blades could be cannibalized to fit the purpose.