Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

My helmet and medal collection

Article about: Here’s my collection of helmets, medals and various bits of field gear. I do have some uniforms, but I don’t have a way to display them, one day when I have time I’ll upload them. I got my f

Default My helmet and medal collection

Here’s my collection of helmets, medals and various bits of field gear. I do have some uniforms, but I don’t have a way to display them, one day when I have time I’ll upload them.

I got my first helmet which is the M1 on the top left around ten years old. I was always curious about WW2 as a kid from movies/games and hearing about what my relatives did during that time. Though it wasn’t until high school where I read more about twentieth century history that I really got into military history and militaria. My goal is to get all the helmet “styles” from the major powers of WW1 and WW2.

My most recent acquisition is the M-38 “tanker” helmet, I got it at a local show it also came with a great pair of 1944 goggles (box and all the lenses). But for a more accurate WW2 look it’s displayed with the polaroid 1021s.

My favorite helmet is either the Pickelhaube or the 1915 Adrian with parade visor. They’re both two distinct designs and they really show the transition between 19th and 20th century head gear. My WW1 shelf (the middle one) is my favorite one as it has the most stuff and it contains some of the best pieces I have. The top and bottom ones are a mix of WW2 and post war helmets (except for the camo m1917). I plan on focusing more on WW2 again as I have pretty much everything I want from WW1.

All the medals I have are from WW1, which are: Iron Cross 2nd class, Croix de Guerre (1917), French combatant cross (Croix du combatant), and the commemorative war medal. The French medals were from a grouping that came with the ribbons displayed next to them.

The Bayonet is a saw back 98/05 from 1915, and the holster is for a 1911 manufactured by G&K in 1918.

I plan to get a double decal Heer or Luftwaffe helmet next but that probably won’t happen for a while as I need to save up money and then find one. After that I want to get a more “complete” M1 that has an original WW2 liner and chinstrap. Since one of my M1’s is a Korea/Vietnam model and the other is a WW2 shell but with post war modifications. There are other helmets I’d love to get such as a WW2 ssh-39/40 or a WW1 German Camo helmet. But I’d like to get a decal helmet first as the prices keep going up on them. For medals the only two I want to get are a WW1 French legion of Honor as it’s a great looking medal with a great history behind it and a 1st class WW1 iron cross to go with my 2nd class.

The only thing that’s a reproduction is the pickelhaube chinstrap, and the Italian helmet was restored with the wrong parts. The m1917 camo helmet was sprayed with a gloss varnish by a previous owner to protect the paint job unfortunately. Not everything is in the greatest condition but I like the items to have some period wear.

If anyone wants close up pictures of any of these just asked I’d be happy to post them!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My helmet and medal collection   My helmet and medal collection  

My helmet and medal collection   My helmet and medal collection  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My helmet and medal collection
    P
    Many

I think that you have done very well for yourself, and i like the way you have your lids displayed.

Mart

A great collection with a consistent theme, and some great ambitions for the future. You've done fantastically so far. Keep up the good work!

Regards, B.B.

Great job and a good eye. You have a collection to be proud off to a good start.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

A splendid collection and displayed nicely. Very impressive!

Joel

MAP
    ?

Very nice and well displayed

I like that Adrian!

I would just be careful with the awards with ribbons. Hanging them like that will put stress on the fabric especially given their age. Either lay them down flat or take the weight off the ribbon by supporting the weight from the ring.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Alternatively, laying them flat inside a Riker case eliminates stress on the ribbons, makes them easier to move and handle and protects them from dust.

I have a few miscellaneous bits and pieces displayed in such a way.

My helmet and medal collection

B.B.

Thank you for the compliment! The Adrian is probably my favorite helmet design since they have a really unique shape and great color.

For the medals the weight is supported by the ring. There are small two small pins that go into the white fabric which secures the suspension ring to the board, the clips are only there so the ribbon doesn't fall over the medal itself. Its really hard to see the pins from the pictures as the quality of the pics isn't the best. I do see what you mean though in general it is better for the ribbon to lay flat. I'm going to look into another way to display them.

I want to thank everyone for all the compliments!

Also thank you for showing me the rikers case BrodieBartfast, I'm going to look into getting one in the future.