Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Alteration of bayonets?

Article about: What this modification? Combat knife? Bayonet for hunting?

?

Default Alteration of bayonets?

What this modification? Combat knife? Bayonet for hunting?
    Alteration of bayonets?Alteration of bayonets?Alteration of bayonets?Alteration of bayonets?

?

Additional photo.
    Alteration of bayonets?

?

Additional photo.
    Alteration of bayonets?Alteration of bayonets?Alteration of bayonets?

Why the modification? Any of those reasons are possible. You probably know this is a cut down French 1866 Chassepot. But what I find interesting is the scabbard. The frog stud or "foot" is a German style. That suggests to me this bayonet may have been captured during the Franco-Prussian war of 1870 and at some later point was cut down.

I agree with Anderson,

It appears to be a German captured and cut down example. French markings on the hilt most likely removed. Unusual that it does not have German replacement markings though.

I would suggest it was most likely retained to use in its original capacity, as a bayonet.

Used sometime prior to WWI - There are German altered chassepot bayonets used in the WWI period but they have distinct grip alterations to fit onto the contemporary rifles.

I believe there is an altered example like yours in this photo. Note the soldier kneeling in the front right hand corner.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Alteration of bayonets?  
    Best regards,
    Chris

"Knowledge rests not upon truth alone, but upon error also."
    Carl Jung

?

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Why the modification? Any of those reasons are possible. You probably know this is a cut down French 1866 Chassepot. But what I find interesting is the scabbard. The frog stud or "foot" is a German style. That suggests to me this bayonet may have been captured during the Franco-Prussian war of 1870 and at some later point was cut down.
    Yes, scabbard indicate German style. But no alteration under German rifles. No German markings.

?

Quote by christek View Post
    I agree with Anderson,

It appears to be a German captured and cut down example. French markings on the hilt most likely removed. Unusual that it does not have German replacement markings though.

I would suggest it was most likely retained to use in its original capacity, as a bayonet.

Used sometime prior to WWI - There are German altered chassepot bayonets used in the WWI period but they have distinct grip alterations to fit onto the contemporary rifles.

I believe there is an altered example like yours in this photo. Note the soldier kneeling in the front right hand corner.
    Thanks for the photo. Yes, the soldier bayonet unintelligible. Met similar elsewhere?

?

The total length of the bayonet-42 cm.

?

The scabbard was refurbished in well way, most real a german personification when looking on hook of scabbard, used as a dress piece or knife, possible in period of pre or WW1 period. The blade lenght would be interesting. Its mostly not standart weapon already. On bayonet there was filled the crosspiece and grooves in handle. b.r.Andy

?

Hello, Andy! Thanks for the reply. Blade length 30 cm. Maybe ask on the German Forum?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast