Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

US 505th PIR Class A

Article about: Hello fellow collectors! I have this Class A for many years and I would like to hear your opinion about its authenticity. Its size is about a 42R: Length: 36 inches; Shoulders: 20 inches; Ar

Default US 505th PIR Class A

Hello fellow collectors!

I have this Class A for many years and I would like to hear your opinion about its authenticity.

Its size is about a 42R:

Length: 36 inches;

Shoulders: 20 inches;

Armpit: 22 inches;

Arms: 25 inches.

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Alex Triffoni.

US 505th PIR Class A US 505th PIR Class A US 505th PIR Class A US 505th PIR Class A US 505th PIR Class A US 505th PIR Class A US 505th PIR Class A US 505th PIR Class A US 505th PIR Class A US 505th PIR Class A US 505th PIR Class A US 505th PIR Class A US 505th PIR Class A US 505th PIR Class A US 505th PIR Class A US 505th PIR Class A US 505th PIR Class A US 505th PIR Class A US 505th PIR Class A US 505th PIR Class A US 505th PIR Class A US 505th PIR Class A US 505th PIR Class A US 505th PIR Class A

Alex,

There are some red flags that I would have to question prior to believing this is an authentic uniform. The ribbon bar is post WW2 era, and an officer would not have an Army Good conduct ribbon (unless prior enlisted) so that for me is a red flag. Also based on the American Defense Ribbon this person was in the Army prior to Pearl Harbor which is not unreasonable, but I would think the rank would be higher than that of a Captain. 2nd, the green leadership tabs are really a post war adaptation. There were some NCO's who had a single green stripe or bar that was worn on the sleeve under the chevron, so again I am suspect.
    Another red flag for me is the lack of a combat patch on this uniform, which in itself really does not mean anything. A lot of Soldiers didn't put combat patches on their uniforms but in this case where it has a bullion 82nd Patch and a bullion pathfinder patch (I suspect this patch as well), I would also think that if the veteran was going to go that far and put these insignia on, they would at least get the combat patch on the right shoulder as well..

The 505th was awarded more than 1 Presidential Unit Citation as indicated on this uniform here so it is missing an oak leaf cluster as well as the other foreign decorations that the regiment was awarded..

The date in the jacket puts this very close to the end of the war. I looked in the West Point register and did not locate any M.B. Weaver so this may be an OCS, ROTC or other type of commissioning. I have not started to search for Weaver in any Airborne rosters Yet...

The 82nd patch looks very sloppy in my opinion and may well be a Pakistani reproduction. The red border of the patch is sloppy and lacks detail of a professionally done tailored bullion patch and the Pathfinder wings appear to be British but again I am very suspect that it could be Pakistani made. I would have to see real close up pictures of the insignia and also see the backings of the unit crests, and other items to make a better determination.

The hashmarks also only indicate 1 year overseas service which by looking at the combat jumps and invasion arrowhead on the ribbons, this individual was very busy during that one year.... So another red flag..

The combat infantryman's badge also looks post war so this uniform may have been a put together uniform. This may have been done for a veteran by someone who didn't know what ribbons were appropriate or what insignia was appropriate. Tough to really say.

Lastly, the unit crest is not the official crest for the 505th. This appears to be a crest that was made for collectors. There most likely will not be any hallmark on the back of this crest. The official unit crest for the 505th has the motto H-MINUS.

I think this was a put together uniform and without knowing the background or history of the unit it may have been for a veteran or unfortunately it was made to deceive an unsuspecting collector..

Hope this information was helpful for you and if there are any questions please feel free to reach out. I would like to hear the opinions of other members to,,, so don't take my suggestions and comments as the written rule but I have seen many of these types of uniforms before and with that I am a little bit of a skeptic at times and have to see all the right bells and whistles for me to be convinced...

Smitty

Smitty a superb reply and very detailed.

Pathfinder and 82nd not the style they should be , re modern era paki made. They are meant to be German made 82nd and British made path finder badge. Different construction.

505 Airborne oval is 1950's (possibly West German embroidered on twill) but US at the least.

Phill

Phill,

Thank you for your kind words.. I also appreciate the additional information that you provided..

Smitty

Hi gentlemen,

What an explanation !!! All questions have a clear & detailled respons. Excellent. Thank you.
    Best regards from Alsace , France.
    Carfin.

Carfin,

Thank you very much for your input..

Smitty

?

Run fast! The pathfinder and 82nd are unfortunately copies as stated. A majority of the insignia also looks 60s to modern. Being named I would at least dig into some research to see if the GI even served in the Airborne which I doubt. Airborne uniforms are one of the most faked uniforms. I hardly see ones I feel comfortable buying at shows. I have a few 11th in my collection but 82nd and 101st are the target of most fakers

Hello guys!

Thanks a lot for all your comments and very detailed explanation!

I bought this one many years ago and at that time I did not find any information for making a comparison so I took the risk.

Based on your comments, maybe this one would be great for re-enactment only.

Smitty, you mentioned about West Point register and Airborne rosters. Are they available on-line for research purposes? That would help me in the future if I find any named piece, for instance.

Best regards to you all,

Alex.