Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M42 German helmet

Article about: Hey guys! So this helmet is for sale for 350 usd. I’m not interested in it because I’ve started to try and learn a few things from you guys. The paint on the helmet seems not original as it’

Default M42 German helmet

Hey guys! So this helmet is for sale for 350 usd. I’m not interested in it because I’ve started to try and learn a few things from you guys. The paint on the helmet seems not original as it’s glossy and the rivets seem very weird to me. Also the liner isn’t the correct type for it being a M42 at least I think. The decal seems to be a reproduction as well. How did I do in diagnosing this helmet? Was I decent at looking it over, are there things that I missed.? Any other advice for when looking at helmets. Any criticism is welcomed and thanked.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M42 German helmet   M42 German helmet  

M42 German helmet   M42 German helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 German helmet
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

It is a fake Chinese copy.

You did very very well! Good job.

- The shell is not original. Rivets are obvious give aways. You can spot these a mile away
    - Paint? Yes glossy but also the totally wrong color
    - Liner? Yes, not close to an original
    - Chinstrap? Fake as well for many reasons.
    - And last but not least, while I only see one decal, an M42 should never have the National Shield. It goes without saying it is a repro even though you can hardly see it
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Very interesting thank you! I did not know about the shield not being on the m42. Iam going to have to write that down in my notebook, thank you very much!

MAP
    ?

The national shield was discontinued with the introduction of the M-40 helmet. Only rare cases do you see National Shields on M-40's and even this is debated.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Well done! You are already leaps and bounds ahead of the ones who post this type of helmet after they purchase it.

Mart

MAP
    ?

If you are serious about getting more than one German helmet, I seriously recommend you save some $ up and by both of Ken N's books (I gave you the info in another thread). They will give you a solid foundation quickly followed by what you learn here on the forum as well as your own in hands studying.

Yes I’m currently looking to purchase the books you told me about I’m still trying to find a better priced one they can be a bit pricy haha.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Giants77 View Post
    Yes I’m currently looking to purchase the books you told me about I’m still trying to find a better priced one they can be a bit pricy haha.
    Yes. His out of print book is pricy and when available they sell very quickly.

Michael's (MAP) advice is very good - he told me to buy both of Ken N's books and I did (worth the money).
    Also have a look at:
    German Helmet Vault – Collecting German WW2 helmets
    http://www.german-ww2-helmet.com/

Take your time on this and you will reap the rewards.
    Nick

MAP
    ?

Quote by HoundsTooth View Post
    Michael's (MAP) advice is very good - he told me to buy both of Ken N's books and I did (worth the money).
    Also have a look at:
    German Helmet Vault – Collecting German WW2 helmets
    http://www.german-ww2-helmet.com/

Take your time on this and you will reap the rewards.
    Nick
    Excellent references Nick. I forgot about recommending these sites. Especially Franks as he spends a great deal of time on identifying fakes and updates his blog which you can subscribe to.