Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Real or fake Normandy SD Luftwaffe M35

Article about: Hello once again, I have here a Normandy camouflage M35 that I was thinking of picking up. Everything looks pretty good but the camouflage seems like it's applied differently compared to oth

you will never get better than 50%-50% as far as positive/negative opinions on this. Is that really what you want to deal with while it sits on your shelf ? It's not enjoyable having any item of militaria in your possession that you have doubts about. Recommend passing on this one.

D.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Real or fake Normandy SD Luftwaffe M35
    P
    Many

Absolutely agree ... every time you look at that helmet that just cost you a small fortune ... there will be that niggling doubt.. “Is it really a true Camo”

Here are some better ish photos. Guy is no professional photographer. I appreciate the info, excellent observations. I agree, with the odd lot number reference line and no return in the post, makes it sound fishy. But maybe these pictures can shed some light on its authenticity.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Real or fake Normandy SD Luftwaffe M35   Real or fake Normandy SD Luftwaffe M35  

Real or fake Normandy SD Luftwaffe M35   Real or fake Normandy SD Luftwaffe M35  

Quote by MAP View Post
    Picture quality is not your fault. It is the seller. They either don't honestly know how to take proper photos or they do but are trying to deceive.

Gun Broker is a bit better than eBay but still rife with fakes.

With anything, you get what you pay for. It is need impossible to score a "cheap" real helmet these days unless you source it out of the woodwork your self. And if you go through some of the bigger dealers you will be paying Market price. $1.5k is not cheap but priced at the lower end of the spectrum. If this was real, I would say you could add another $1k to the price tag.

Here is a list of some of the major helmet dealers in the US. Some have had some recent issues with selling some bad helmets but overall they are good. That said, every helmet should be vetted prior to purchasing regardless of who the seller/dealer is.

See post 4 for the list

Australia Helmet Dealers
    I appreciate the info. As I see it, although getting a lower than average deal is nice, paying market price isn't that bad when you know you are getting a legitimate helmet. After seeing the knowledge on this forum, I'll always come here to get something vetted before purchasing. I like a second opinion and I learn a little bit more each post.

1: No returns policy=no sale for me, if the seller cannot give you the opportunity to give it a hands on inspection,then let him keep it for all eternity.
    2: The wear looks like the good old "toffee hammer" has been out again.
    3: One vent seems to hold onto most of its paint whilst the surface around it has lost it all?
    4: Looks like it has a first pattern decal, but that is hard to tell,not impossible, but less likely.

I would pass. Leon.

I also agree that the green paint seems to have been added later.
    In the additional pictures you have added, it appears to go over the rust in places.

This is definitely one to pass on - i can only echo what others have said.
    Nick

After seeing more photos i would definitely give this one a miss.

Jan
    ?

I was hoping it would be ok but (as already stated) the green paint is a big NO for me too. Such a shame...

Best, Jan

A thin green overwash that does actually cover the dark rust areas though it's difficult to see in the photos. A second darker green is also added in small patches. So it was an authentic tan camo that someone (post war) has "enhanced" but has in actual fact reduced it's value. Stupid.

The left hand side liner pin has the ochre coloured paint applied thicker than in the immediate vicinity. Perhaps the liner has also been played with. Looks a bit like the decal has been placed over the paint too

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2