Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Real or fake Normandy SD Luftwaffe M35

Article about: Hello once again, I have here a Normandy camouflage M35 that I was thinking of picking up. Everything looks pretty good but the camouflage seems like it's applied differently compared to oth

Default Real or fake Normandy SD Luftwaffe M35

Hello once again, I have here a Normandy camouflage M35 that I was thinking of picking up. Everything looks pretty good but the camouflage seems like it's applied differently compared to other Normandy painted helmets. It almost has a finger paint smeared appearance. I'm curious what you all think about it? Thanks in advice
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Real or fake Normandy SD Luftwaffe M35   Real or fake Normandy SD Luftwaffe M35  

Real or fake Normandy SD Luftwaffe M35   Real or fake Normandy SD Luftwaffe M35  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Real or fake Normandy SD Luftwaffe M35
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

To start,

1) searching for original German helmets on Gun brokers is almost as bad as using Ebay. You might get lucky finding a good example every 1 out of 50 helmets
    2) quality of advice is directly connected to the quality of photos (these are not very good)

I would not worry so much about the camo pattern. These were all unique creations and Ive seen some wacky examples that really look like finger painting.

I also don't usually get caught up in the "tool mark" debate, but I will say that I'm finding the chips and scratches a bit too predictable (this is an ex chicken wire half basket creation) and not in the areas I would expect.

in the end...I would pass unless much better photos are forthcoming. I'm not hopeful but the only way for me to give an opinion. (Plus some really good ones of the decal.)

What is the asking price?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

My apologies on the picture quality, at the moment that's all I have. There are 30+ pictures and I selected what I thought would best show the helmet. I agree they are far from professional. The seller does claim it to be previously chicken wired and was removed by the soldier presumably, I forgot to include that. The seller wants $1500 for it. Also, where do you recommend searching for helmets and other german items online outside GB and Ebay? Thank you for your help.

Good luck with those crappy photos.
    First the decal needs to be vetted which is impossible with these photos , then the camo which is impossible with these photos.

if this is your first purchase stay clear from auction sites and the like and look at dealers or buy from collectors direct. Make sure to post it here before you hand over cash but ask good and detailed photos.

To me it looks like a tan/dark yellow camo with the green applied much later.

MAP
    ?

Quote by HRR2448 View Post
    My apologies on the picture quality, at the moment that's all I have. There are 30+ pictures and I selected what I thought would best show the helmet. I agree they are far from professional. The seller does claim it to be previously chicken wired and was removed by the soldier presumably, I forgot to include that. The seller wants $1500 for it. Also, where do you recommend searching for helmets and other german items online outside GB and Ebay? Thank you for your help.
    Picture quality is not your fault. It is the seller. They either don't honestly know how to take proper photos or they do but are trying to deceive.

Gun Broker is a bit better than eBay but still rife with fakes.

With anything, you get what you pay for. It is need impossible to score a "cheap" real helmet these days unless you source it out of the woodwork your self. And if you go through some of the bigger dealers you will be paying Market price. $1.5k is not cheap but priced at the lower end of the spectrum. If this was real, I would say you could add another $1k to the price tag.

Here is a list of some of the major helmet dealers in the US. Some have had some recent issues with selling some bad helmets but overall they are good. That said, every helmet should be vetted prior to purchasing regardless of who the seller/dealer is.

See post 4 for the list

Australia Helmet Dealers

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

TWS
    ?

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    To me it looks like a tan/dark yellow camo with the green applied much later.
    That's how it struck me. Looks like the green paint has been smeared over old chips in the other paint. Although, as noted by other members, a serious authentication is impossible with these photos.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

MAP
    ?

Here is the Gun Broker link. Photos are no better. Does confirm my original observation of a half basket chicken wire creation. To me a low level fake.

In looking for this helmet it reminded me of what a horrid site that is for buying original helmets and awards.....

WWII GERMAN M35 CAMO SINGLE DECAL LUFTWAFFE HELMET - WW1 & WW2 Collectibles at GunBroker.com : 791765852

I've seen this song and dance before. No inspection or returns.

I WILL TAKE OFFERS!!!!THIS IS AN ORIGINAL AND UNTOUCH FROM THE WWII VETERAN REALLY VERY NICE WW II, WORLD WAR TWO GERMAN M 35, M-35 SINGLE DECAL LUFTWAFFE CAMOFLAGE COMBAT STEEL HELMET....WITH LINER & TIE CORD AND CHINSTRAP...THIS WAS A DOUBLE DECAL LUFTWAFFE EARLY SNAKE LEG EAGLE AND THE PARTY SHIELD WAS SCRAPED OF PER ORDERS AND IT WAS CAMOFLAGED NORMANDY PAINT SCHEME AND IT ONE HAD A HALF BASKET CHICKEN WIRE ON IT AT ONE TIME...IT WAS TAKEN OFF BEFORE THE VETERAN PICKED IT UP.. ACCORDING TO BRIAN ICE'S BOOK "GERMAN HELMET LOT NUMBERS 1935-1945 REVISION 8"..PAGE 387 STATES USED ON DOUBLE DECAL LUFTWAFFE SNAKE LEG EAGLE PARADE FINISH BLUE GREY...WHICH THIS IS....IS IN VERY GOOD CONDITION... THE DECAL RATES ABOUT 65%..MAKER IS AND SIZE IS "Q64" BLOCK # "3100".... CHINSTRAP BUCKLE SIDE IS EXCELLENT BUT THE LONG SIDE HAS A PIECE OF TAPE ON IT FOR SOME REASON AND SHORTENED A COUPLE INCHES.. THE LINER AND TIE CORD ARE IN EXCELLENT CONDITION....PAINT I WOULD RATE 90%........DO TO ILLNESS SELLING LIFE TIME COLLECTION OVER FORTY YEARS....FROM 1870'S TO PRESENT GERMAN, AMERICAN, ITALIAN, RUSSIAN, BRITISH, AUSTRALIAN, JAPANESE, ETC..HELEMTS, DAGGERS, FIGHTING KNIVES, BAYONET, GERMAN ARMBANDS, VISOR HATS, UNIFORMS..... THIS IS A VERY EXTENSIVE COLLECTION EMAIL ME IF YOU NEED ANYTHING.......PHOTOS ARE PART OF MY DESCRIPTION........CHECK OUT THE PHOTOS...SERIOUS BUYERS ONLY SHIPPED ONE WAY ONLY. NO INTERNATIONAL BUYERS .......... ITEMS ARE SOLD AS-IS NO RETURNS. BUYER PAYS SHIPPING AND INSURANCE BY UNITED STATES POST OFFICE MONEY ORDER ONLY!!!! NO OTHER PAYMENT ACCEPTED!!!! PAYMENT MUST BE MADE WITH IN 7 DAYS OF AUCTION END OR NEGATIVE FEEDBACK WILL BE LEFT UNLESS OTHER ARRAIGNMENTS ARE MADE. YOU MUST CONTACT SELLER WITH YOUR ADDRESS WITH IN THREE DAYS OF AUCTION END. ANY QUESTIONS EMAIL ME. I WILL EMAIL TOTAL WITH IN 24 HOURS

again the completely useless mention that the lot nr in conjunction of it being part of a lot nr list would bring more credence to the helmet.

As there’s no returns I’d stay well clear

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast