Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

K98 frog. The Third Reich or what?

Article about: Hi everyone! I have purchased this frog of K98 as a late war German frog, but that is not typical. Does it have any chances to be German? I haven't found similar frogs. Or where is it from?

Default K98 frog. The Third Reich or what?

Hi everyone! I have recently purchased this frog of K98 as a late war German frog, but that is not typical. Does it have any chances to be German? I haven't found similar frogs from other countries too. Where can it be from?

K98 frog. The Third Reich or what?K98 frog. The Third Reich or what?K98 frog. The Third Reich or what?K98 frog. The Third Reich or what?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement K98 frog. The Third Reich or what?
    P
    Many

Hi!
    similar, but looks diferent lenght, stitching and rivets:
    Mauser k98 bayonet frog

I think the quality of the leather is too good for late war German and some differences in construction, and quite likely a reproduction. The expert on these is "Sleepwalker", hopefully he will comment. In the meantime you could check out a recent thread on the K98 forum which is about a "skeletonized frog".

Quote by Anderson View Post
    I think the quality of the leather is too good for late war German and some differences in construction, and quite likely a reproduction. The expert on these is "Sleepwalker", hopefully he will comment. In the meantime you could check out a recent thread on the K98 forum which is about a "skeletonized frog".

That is not a reproduction for sure, as in the first photo you can see traces of a K98 scabbard below the hole so I see it as a sign of long term usage. Also, the frog was bundled with an original K98 that fitted it perfectly, but its origin is a mystery for me.
    Hopefully, Sleepwalker will see this thread and unveil it.
    Last edited by JohannLehmann; 03-02-2019 at 09:09 AM.

Quote by JohannLehmann View Post

That is not a reproduction for sure, as in the first photo you can see traces of a K98 scabbard below the hole so I see it as a sign of long term usage. Also, the frog was bundled with an original K98 that fitted it perfectly, but its origin is a mystery for me.
    Hopefully, Sleepwalker will see this thread and unveil it.
    Hello,
    Having marks of scabbard into the leather is by no means a proof of authenticity.
    The M42 frog shown in this thread lacks some details and some features are wrong
    In my opinion, it is an used reproduction
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Quote by JPhilip View Post
    Hello,
    Having marks of scabbard into the leather is by no means a proof of authenticity.
    The M42 frog shown in this thread lacks some details and some features are wrong
    In my opinion, it is an used reproduction
    Thanks
    Hm... I think it would be too bad for a repro, because it’s not so good as a copy. I lean towards that it’s a simplified original frog from the late period, but it was not initiated by any order. It happened sometimes: factories were trying to produce things as quickly as they could so sometimes they simplified technologies themselves without any order. That’s why we still can meet original late pieces that differ from others.
    What do you think?

IMHO it’s a repro.....

The m42 frog shown (m42 frog btw is a collectors term) lacks the details which would make it a real one....

This frog was made for the “Klappspaten” to make it fit more easily....

Tom

Quote by JohannLehmann View Post
    Hm... I think it would be too bad for a repro, because it’s not so good as a copy. I lean towards that it’s a simplified original frog from the late period, but it was not initiated by any order. It happened sometimes: factories were trying to produce things as quickly as they could so sometimes they simplified technologies themselves without any order. That’s why we still can meet original late pieces that differ from others.
    What do you think?

Hello,
    What do i think ?
    My opinion is in my previous post and you also have Tom's opinion
    It's more likely a reenactment item and not one made to deceive collectors...
    On the other hand, if you like it and believe that it's some kind of simplified late war M42 frog....no problem with me, that's your item and you can believe what you want to believe.
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)