Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Fake or real Kai Guntō ?

Article about: Hello, im about to buy a gunto for a price, can you guys tell me if it is a real kai gunto or a chinese replica. I don't really know to spot diferences between a real one and a fake one so i

?

Bruce makes great points, and regardless of blade, if you want a classic Kai Gunto, why go for this? ...handle needs work and is not classic Koshirae for Kai Gunto. There are better ones out there in my opinion. Dan

?

Quote by Gunto View Post
    Wrong it is. you know apparently nothing about itomaki.
    Just to point out, in UK vernacular "knackered" means tired or destroyed. The Ito is too damaged to make a judgement call as to it's authenticity. The Ito was often cut by servicemen looking for jewels or "prayer papers" that popular legend claimed were hidden under the binding. As for the sarute, not every offices forked out for a nice one, plain wire is quite common, and given what nice ones sell for now, ($100 and up) probably one of the most removed items for sale separately.
    Is it a genuine Shin-Gunto, I don't know..... It's very hard to tell from photo's unless it's one of the absolute dogs that get posted from time to time. I await further revelations on this thread if it is purchased. I will also mention that the Paul Chen replica Shin-Gunto (which this may very well be) sold for in excess of $1,000, in other words for the same money (adjusted for inflation) that the originals did back in the early war period. It might be a decent buy even as a replica.
    Last edited by DaveR; 05-09-2019 at 10:53 AM. Reason: To remove a spurious link.

Quote by DaveR View Post
    Is it a genuine Shin-Gunto, I don't know..... It's very hard to tell from photo's unless it's one of the absolute dogs that get posted from time to time.
    I agree with DaveR. I need to see the tang to make a verdict. IF, if this is a fake, it is one of the best fakes. It's a very easy telling when we can see the tang.

?

Shin-Gunto are a bit of a minefield to judge, especially from photo'sl, as an example of such here is a link to a papered Gunto, that I doubt would pass muster on this page...... Katana (Gunto): Noshu Seki Ju Kojima Kanemichi | Japanese Sword Shop Aoi-Art

Hello everyone, he told me that it isn't sharpened, does that mean it is fake ? do I have to give up ? thank you

"Isn't sharpened" is a certain sign of reproduction. It's up to you what you're going to do next.

?

I guess You didnt buy it. It was screaming fake all over.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3